Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

Truck or trailer?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many members have trucks for transporting their bikes? Or trailers?

·
Head Janitor
699 Posts
I have both, but prefer to use my truck. I feel it's a lot more secured that way and I'm not stuck at 55mph.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Wrangler that can tow, but no trailer to carry a bike on.

I should have bought a Tacoma. :nono2
You can rent a single motorcycle trailer from U-haul.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had my off road toys first, so I have an F-150 and 16' Carson trailer. I agree with Vtech, the back of the truck is the most secure place for my streetbike. :nono trailer.

Just my :2cents

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I've got three of each.. big,bigger,biggest...

I prefer to trailer my bikes... Easier to load and plenty secure... Leaves my truck bed open for coolers, gear, easy up, fuel jug, tools, etc.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my off road toys first, so I have an F-150 and 16' Carson trailer. I agree with Vtech, the back of the truck is the most secure place for my streetbike. :nono trailer.

Just my :2cents
More secure than the back of my mini-van with tinted windows? I think not! :noteeth

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1997 Chevy Astro, no rear seats, Baxley wheel chock, piece of wood behind the front seats to hold the chock in place (forward motion, like the wall of a truck bed), tie downs in the back to hold it from swaying side to side because the van has body roll like a boat.

I've also seen a Toyota Previa take a CBR600F4i.

Typically you'd want to remove the mirrorws, but I took Gamboa's 250 in my van once and just folded the mirrors in and it was ok.

If you get one of those big family size vans, you can fit 2 bikes in there.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Ya I know a couple of people that use them and sware by them...

Just be mindful that it requires a class 3 or better 2" receiver hitch and that the Mototote Sport model weighs 90lbs by it self... It's capable of carrying 600lbs but if you have a small car I wouldn't recommend the Mototote...

My reasoning is this.. If you have a small car say like a Honda Accord or some equivalent model and you add Ninja 250 + a Mototote + hitch receiver hardware you're looking at approx 500lbs hanging off the back of your car and all that mass is behind your rear axle... This much weight behind the rear wheels will probably plant a small car's rear suspension on it's bump stops or at a minimum make the really car difficult to handle...
500lbs is usually the max tongue weight for a standard 1/2 ton pickup bumper..

375 lbs = '08 250 wet

90 lbs = Mototote

40 lbs = Receiver hitch hdw

505 lbs = Estimated total combined weight

Towing 1000 lbs on the other hand would probably be a better solution as the trailer supports the weight and the car just pulls it along...

·
Registered
229 Posts
i was thinking on using the mototote on a 2005 ford ranger edge. it has a standard 2" class3 hitch block. i wouldn't imagine anyone using a car to haul trailers and such.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A member on SBN pulled a trailer with his Integra for a few years until he got a truck. I had a '02 Subaru Outback 6 cyl. that could tow a small trailer with 2 bikes on it. Cars haul trailers all the time, it's just a matter of which trailer is the right trailer. U-Haul has single motorcycle trailers that most cars can pull.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That guy was either going to Streets of Willow or Big Willow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts