Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Putting a wider tire on the 250R will not give you "beter performance" it will only limit your "flickability". The widest tire you will be able to fit on the bike without modifying the swing arm is a 150... depending on brand you will have to figure out whether a 60 series or 70 series will work. There are lots of topics that cover this information... a little searching goes a long way. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Wondering if anyone knows whats the biggest size in tire? I've read someone put a 150/70/17. I want to put a wider tire for better performance most importantly looks.
I had a BT021 150/70/17 on mine and it fits fine. I took it off though. If you just want that size for looks then no problem. Mine has plenty of tread left. I'd sell it to you cheap but you're 10hrs away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you really get any benefit from cramming the biggest tire you can on the back? I would think when Kawasaki designed the Ninja 250, tires were considered too. And then if you do use that big tire in the back do you have to compensate for the front also?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
^you can gain contact patch but bear in mind you may be changing the profile of the tire fitting it on a thinner wheel size. Geometry is also affected with taller tires

no compensation necessary

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
^I just didn't like it. Someone else might like it. Some people like the fatter tire for the looks. At WSMC they run the 150 rear. I tried a 120/150 setup but was getting some slippage which could have been caused by a number of things. On the front I couldn't get even close to the edge. The larger tires add rotational mass as well. I switched to a 110/140 setup and found that's what I like the best. Personal Preference really.

·
Registered
106 Posts
^I just didn't like it. Someone else might like it. Some people like the fatter tire for the looks. At WSMC they run the 150 rear. I tried a 120/150 setup but was getting some slippage which could have been caused by a number of things. On the front I couldn't get even close to the edge. The larger tires add rotational mass as well. I switched to a 110/140 setup and found that's what I like the best. Personal Preference really.
I see. What's WSMC? Is that like the local ninja 250 race series or something? Sounds like the 110/140 is a good compromise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice, I just looked up where that is and it's not too far from my place. I'll definitely check that out sometime.

And I found this really cool picture of a race-prepped Ninja 250. I think it looks awesome!

·
Registered
22 Posts
NICE! now i have a question.....What sizes would u put on my ninja 250 (when i get it) i dont know what i like yet iv only rode dirt bikes. i like flickability and outrunning 600s on twisties, and i wana be able to get good gass mileage and also be able to drag my knee on turns ;) what ratio would be about right and why? thanks in advance guys :) and gals :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm an engineer and I'll tell you to keep the stock sizes. There are so many things that go into designing the suspension on a motorcycle and the tires are part of it. You change that and everything gets outta wack. When they redesigned the R6 to give it 70 sidewall tires instead of 60 sidewall tires they had to redesign the whole suspension system and geometry just to get it to handle right again. If your not an engineer and plan on re-engineering the whole suspension I wouldn't change the tires.

I also own a Triumph Daytona 955i supersport 150hp bike with 190 rear tires. This bike does not handle as well as the Ninja 250R. It weighs more and the bigger tires create more gyroscopic forces making the bike want to stand up and be more stable. You can drag a knee on it easier because you need more lean angle to get the same amount of turn, but the 250R will corner at a higher speed and flick into it faster. I can probably safely take a corner 10mph faster on the 250 in stock form than the Daytona.

Also larger tires do not give you a larger contact patch. The way a pneumatic tire works is by the tire pressure in the tire. If there is 350lbs(bike) +170lbs(rider) roughly divided by 2 on each wheel and you have 40psi in the tires you will have a contact patch = to weight/PSI square inchs = 6.5sqin. The only way to get a larger contact patch is to lower the pressure in your tires. Also a larger tire on a smaller rim will tend to pinch the tire and make the tread curve inwards giving you even less usable tire for leaning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts