Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team 250.

On my 2008 I found that I have some noticeable motion between the sprocket (verified nuts tight) anf the mechanical contraption that the sprocket connects to The sprocket and sprocket retainer thing appear to move inside the steel hub a noticeable amount. I know that there is a rubber spacer inside the hub, but how much motion can one expect??:eek:hno

Attachments

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Have you disassembled the hub/sprocket assembly or are you just doing a bit of chain maintenance...?

How much back lash are you noticing...?

The bushings in the cush drive should be installed with the webbing straddling over the dividers in the wheel hub... If everything is installed correctly there will be a bit of noticeable backlash between the hub/sprocket assembly and the wheel but it should be a pretty minimal amount of movement.... It should not be making any metal on metal contact or sounds of this nature...
The back lash should only be a couple of degrees of wheel rotation to if that, if every thing is in it's proper place...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the sprocket, thats when i noticed the slop. A couple degrees of movement maybe, with no metal contact that i can tell.

I didn't go into the wheel.:nono

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
How many miles are on this bike...?

Also did you notice this movement while you were torquing down the sprocket to the hub assm...? This movement would seem appropriate under the circumstances of exerting a good deal of force to the fasteners holding the drive components together while the cush drive is together... The purpose of the cush drive is to reduce the stress load on the drive components such as the chain, sprocket, and wheel... It is basically a shock absorber...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too noticed a couple of degrees play (or slop) when I was doing chain maintenance.
I assumed this was normal. I have around 3300 mi. on the bike. Drive train is tight & quiet otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the assembly apart and wedged in plastic pieces in the cush drive. There is far to much free play between the drive and the cush rubber. The play is now just about gone, and I notice more response to my throttle action.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts