Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Ninja 250, 15k miles. After 5+ years of flawless operation, this problem just appeared. As soon as I turn the key to the ON position, the battery voltage immediately drops from 12.8V to 2-3 volts and pegs a 30 Amp in-line ammeter. No headlight, no horn, no starter. Guessing there is a short somewhere in the system but not sure how to isolate it. Any suggestions of where to start looking greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really at a loss here guys. Can anyone suggest where to look for a short? As soon as I turn the ignition switch to ON, I'm shorted (batt volt goes to 2-3 volts and pegging a 30 A ammeter connected to the the pos terminal of the batt.) If I disconnect a large white, 6 pin connector under the fuel tank (connects ignition switch to the junction/fuse box) the "short" goes away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you 100% sure the fuses are fine? Swapping the main 30 amp out for a known good one is going to be the cheapest fix here - hopefully that's all that blew.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Squints. Actually it was a bad (4 month old !!!) battery. Even though my load test said it was OK ????? Anyhow, after replacing the battery at Wal-Mart (full refund), it's running great. I remember when I bought it, the box had been opened and re-taped shut but it was the only one on the shelf at the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts