Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

Security device.

12K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Valkorin 
#1 · (Edited)
In my ongoing preparation for the glorious arrival of my highly anticipated bike. I have been looking at security devices.

Should I get just a lock? (Would that be safe enough? Would I find something to lock the bike to everywhere?)
An alarm system instead? (Can I afford both the price and installation? Plus the fact that it would also require giving the bike with it, or uninstall it)
How about a disk lock that can be easily carried and put on whatever bike [it fits] that you have? (Not that I have a lot of them, but you get the point)
Even better, how about this one?

Does anyone have any experiences with this? Will it fit the 250?

What do you guys have? (if anything)

#3 ·
I have the disc alarm lock. I removed the batteries because it would go off at random constantly. Severely annoying.

Lojack is nice but too expensive for the price. 25% or so of the cost of the bike. not worth it.

I also have a humongous lock and chain when I cant park in a secure garage.

Still if a thief wants it they'll get it.

#6 ·
I use to use locks and chains (the New York Chain by Kryptonite) on my bike(s), but eventually I faced the fact that those will only deter the minor offense guys (read: joyride around the block when they're drunk, or a friend moving it to scare you). If a thief wants to steal a bike, there's no lock or chain out there that will stop them. Now, if you did something like this, maybe they'd choose not to risk getting caught due to the amount of time it would take to bust all the locks...

#8 ·
If a thief wants to steal a bike, there's no lock or chain out there that will stop them.
Is that even with a disc lock that has an alarm. Would you think that would deter [at least most of] them?

Of course, I understand it also depends on where you live and what parts of town you frequent, but in the general sense, I would think that an alarm will scare most people off.

Now, minizoom brings up another good point. Do any of you have full coverage insurance? Cheap enough to justify paying the insurance, plus deductible, instead of the bike?

#9 · (Edited)
I keep full coverage and uninsured motorist on my bike. You can never have enough coverage when it comes to motorcycles especially living in California.

Zmoe is right. If a thief really wants your bike they're going to get it. Most sport bikes do not weigh that much and can be easily lifted into the bed of a truck by two grown men. Wheel locks or not your bike is gone. Full coverage insurance is the only way to ensure you will recoup the loss of the bike. My bike has Lojack also. So if it was ever stolen and it's not in a million pieces there's a good chance they'll find it. But really there is no way to stop a determinded criminal if they really want your bike. A friend of mine had his 07 GSXR 750 stolen right out of his garage. They cut the locks on the garage doors and picked it up and hauled it off.
So yeah. They want it ............. they're gonna get it. So insure it to the nines. On and if you financed your bike by law you MUST maintain full coverage on your bike at all times.
Happy riding. :biggrin2

#11 ·
The dealership installed Lojack.

where did u locate it?
What do you mean? Was it my bike that was stolen and located?
It was my friend's bike that was stolen and his bike didn't have Lojack or anything like that. Parts of the bike was located at a chop shop about a month after it was taken.

I have never had a bike stollen. I apologize if I was unclear.

#14 ·
I paid $2500 for my 900RR. :biggrin2

And insurance on a 250 costs less than on a 900 (and even a 600).

That is of course before you take driving record into account. If you have a crappy driving record, even just liability will be a little more expensive than normal.

#17 ·
I view the level of insurance coverage one gets as a direct correlation to how much they love their bike. The 900RR was the bike that made me want to start riding, it's my dream bike. But I didn't start on one. I knew I would want full coverage on it, and I knew it was too fast for me to start on, so I started with a 250, after 3 years I got a 600, then 3 more years later I finally got a 900. The 250 had minimal insurance coverage (liability only), the 600 had a little more (liability & theft), and both of my 900's have had full coverage. I had 2 other bikes 'on the side' but both only had liability, one was a track bike and one was an old cruiser.

If your bike is your 'baby', I don't know why a person would even question how much insurance to put on it.

As for the more material security devices, like has already been said, you can protect your bike from the looky-loo's and drunkards (although they may still try to push the bike and a disc lock will cause it to tip over when rolled and they won't pick it up), there is no protection against theives for a bike, only protection for the owner. Insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.