Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed some rear LED turn signals along with a new flasher unit on my 2012 Ninja. All the turn signals work fine like they should until about 2 weeks ago. My left two turn signals(front and rear) work perfectly but when I have my right turn signal on it works perfectly until I rev the bike up past 5k rpm, when that happens my left rear turn signal starts flashing with both, front and rear, right turn signals. Also, when that happens, my turn signal indicator light on my dash goes really dim. I'm puzzled and assistance would be appreciated

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've done the LED modification many times, and only one flasher does the trick, and works as promised, the Tridon EP34. EP34 "equivalents" (such as the Blazer FL34) have been known to not work properly. Try an actual Tridon EP34 if you have problems with an alternative brand.

Tridon EP34 Flasher https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00064LQKS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_1q3hwbGD1HQSJ

It does have three pins, so you need to add the extra wire, which is a ground wire.

Are all the turn signals LEDs? If so you might want to read this,
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/My_LED...g_.22all_signals_flashing_at_the_same_time.22

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the new flasher is electronic, yes. I did post this same problem somewhere else and people replied saying the problem might be the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I believe the new flasher is electronic, yes. I did post this same problem somewhere else and people replied saying the problem might be the voltage regulator.
Most electrical problems start at the battery. Check you battery terminal connections first as they tend to loosen and can cause lights and gauges to act erratically

See Motorcycle Battery & Battery Charging Tips

- if you notice the lights are dim, recharge the battery.

- when revving the engine, and the lights dim you may need to replace the battery or the rectifier/regulator

- if activating the horn, brakes or turn signals increases the rpm speed, charge or replace the battery.

- if your lights on the Ninja 250 begin to flicker or your gauges or engine speed start to act erratically, check your battery connections

·
Registered
419 Posts
You said

I believe the new flasher is electronic
What exactly did you use, make and model, I've seen many flasher relays claim to be electronic, when they are not, that's why I exclusively use the Tridon EP34 this reason.

The voltage will vary with RPMs, but once it's past about 4k it should be constant, at idle/low it will be less.

The OEM R/R is a old school technology, which is why I converted both my EX500 & Ninja 250 to the mosfet R/R CONVERSION, it's better at maintaining the voltage, along with other benefits.

Here is my write-up on the subject, http://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11553

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The make and model of my new flasher unit is Novita EL12. And I believe my regulator/ rectifier still works completely fine because I used a multimeter to test the voltage of the battery and it idled around 13-13.5v and went up to 14.5v like it should.

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I didn't mention that the flashing problem doesn't occur until after about 5 minutes after a cold start. When the engine is cold they work. And I don't think I answered your question earlier about if all of the flashers are LED. Just the rear are LED, the front are still stock

·
Registered
478 Posts
... when I have my right turn signal on it works perfectly until I rev the bike up past 5k rpm, when that happens my left rear turn signal starts flashing with both, front and rear, right turn signals. Also, when that happens, my turn signal indicator light on my dash goes really dim. I'm puzzled and assistance would be appreciated
I guess I didn't mention that the flashing problem doesn't occur until after about 5 minutes after a cold start. When the engine is cold they work.
Check your warm idle speed and put load equalizers or resistors on the LEDs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adding a load equalizer or adding resistors is the same thing as changing the flasher relay to fix the problem of the flashers not flashing at all or flashing too fast right?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, hook up the multimeter to the battery, not the voltage before start-up, after start-up, after a few minutes, like when you notice the hyper flashing problem.

And electronic flasher relay doesn't depend on the load of the lighting circuit, but a voltage variation might explain your problem.

Also double check all the battery connections, don't forget the grounds as well. Something else is check the stator connector, and the R/R connection, as these sometimes corrode, causing resistance, heat, and melt the connectors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts