Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days after having changed my oil, I noticed that my clutch stated fading... and it wasn't long before the cable broke.

Now, I can replace the cable easily enough... just have to deal with a fairing screw that's got a stripped head :eek:hcrap ... but I noticed that the clutch lever on the engine case (the lever that the cable controls) rotates freely... it's under no tension... and it can be pulled from the engine along the length of it's shaft for about 3 inches before it hits a stop.

Is the clutch lever supposed to move so freely? If not, what might be the causes? If I do have to go into the clutch itself, is it just springs or plates... which I understand are easy to replace... or is it something more that would require a technician?

Thanks for you help, folks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
The clutch release is not suppose to pulled out. You have to fully seat the clutch release lever by first turning it counter clockwise so that it sits at the 3:00o'clock position. Push it all the way in. Then, rotate it 180-degrees counterclockwise so that it catches the pin. Now, once you feel it attached and in the normal position, rotate it out again (carefully) and put in the cable on this in first, rotate it counterclockwise then attach the cable to the lever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, DaBlue!

With daily highs still in the 70s, I'm eager to get back on the road... I was just hesitant about starting work until I knew what I was getting into... I'll try seating the clutch tomorrow!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.