Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the market for a nice and well cheaper slip on or full exhaust. Yesterday i came across something like the Maico MFG M-80 slip on....which doesnt really remind me of an exhaust but for the price might be ok??? Have any of you heard anything about this...performance wise...good or bad, worth a try or a waste of money?
They do have a website, but im really more interested in personal opinion.

Site is www.maicomfg.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've seen it couple places, recently on ebay going for like 98 bux! Looks like a cheesedick, i agree. No dyno chart anywhere, so i dono how it really performs. Might be good since its short and all, but does it have the right amount of backpressure needed....i dono.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it is 98 bucks, and does not ruin the exhaust system, I say try it and write us a review.
I have touched on this subject before. :soapbox Exhaust is NOT about back pressure. Back pressure is a detriment on 4 cycle engines. Exhaust is about scavenging.

Think about your exhaust system as a siphon. We all know how a siphon works. You can move fluids from one container to another, provided that the receiving container is lower. Once the fluid starts moving, the vacuum created by the descending fluid pulls the fluid out of the container. This process continues until the upper container is empty.
So... the best way to show you how this works is with very confusing text based diagrams!

------____________________________________________________
|
^exhaust port ^exhaust pipe^

Exhaust port opens:

::::::::::::::::::>
^High pressure gas ^Ambient pressure
The exhaust races out of the engine. The pressure is high right against the head. The pressure down the pipe remains at ambient pressure.

Exhaust port closes
| >:::::::::::::::>
^Low pressure ^High pressure ^Ambient pressure
As the exhaust charge gets down the pipe, it creates a low pressure (lower than ambient pressure) area by the exhaust valve/port.

Exhaust port opens again

:::::::::> LOW PRESSURE (VACUUM) >:::::::::::::::::::>
------___________________________________________________
^High Pressure ^Low pressure ^High Pressure
The vacuum created by the previous charge sucks the next charge out of the cylinder.

If the pipe is the incorrect length:

------_____________________________
:::::::::> >:::::::::::::::::::::>
------_____________________________
^High pressure ^Ambient pressure ^Already out of the pipe.
There is no vacuum created. The fresh charge of exhaust must push its way through the exhaust pipe.

Now in all fairness, the length of the exhaust pipe will affect the engine at different RPMs. I don't know that this $100 slip-on won't raise engine output, but I would be careful.
Like I was saying earlier, I would go for it if I did not have to hack :eek:hno my exhaust system. If you do it, be sure to let us know how it works. :worthless

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey kenny or whatever your name is, thats a whole bunch of bench racing babble you bafoon. your scavenging crap might impress people who dont know what your talking about but it would seem to me that any blockage in the system like a converter or the stock muffler shoots your theory out of the water, scavenging only pertains to the headers and once the exhaust passes the crossover pipe scavenging gets canceled out the piston is always PUSHING on the exhaust stroke enery time thats the way it is and FYI we have close to 25 miles of dyno pulls on one of our shop bikes and compairing an exhaust as a siphon? and those diagrams? Dude we dont want to burst your bubble the people we do biz with could care less about people like you who have nothing better to do then bad mouth people who you know nothing about, we have been building bike motors long before there was any such thing as a blog so thats my two cents and Krzysiopl if you see this shoot us an email through our site and we will gladly send you one of our M-80s to check out and send us some pics of your ride!!! Let us know what color you want. Hey sexyNpink if you have a mini ninja give us a shout out and well get an M-80 out to you too. Send us pics and stories of your little ninjas we are starting a monthly feature section soon and we are looking for articals on readers rides it should be cool. We just like the way these little pipes clean up the back of these sweet little bikes. Soory if we stressed out all you haters out there we are just having fun dont be creul, by the way how does any body figure our bikes are slow they pull the front wheel in third? RIDE WIDE MAICO MARC

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am sorry that you disagree with my post. (my name is Kenny, by the way, no alias) I was just merely stating that exhaust is a complicated subject and that a dyno chart would be nice. At time of post, I could not find a dyno chart ("FYI we have close to 25 miles of dyno pulls on one of our shop bikes") on the website. As of this post, there is still no dyno chart on the website. (if there is one, please post a link).

I understand that these exhuast systems are your livelyhood,(this is your first post to our forum too, I am glad it was such a well written, plesant one, welcome!) but the proof is in the pudding. Lets have a dyno chart.

I, as an ASE certified technician (I will PM my credentials if necessary, what are your professional credentials?) in advanced engine performance, understand the importance in exhaust scavenging (which DOES apply to the entire exhaust system, especially on a motorcycle), and I understand that short does not necessarly mean bad, but once again, lets see a dyno chart. After all, you have run 25 miles on your dyno, I am sure you have specs on this stuff. I have not rewritten the laws of exhaust back pressure, all of this stuff is widely documented. (granted, my diagrams were not the best)

One last note, please reply to my wheelie thread, if you are getting wheelies("by the way how does any body figure our bikes are slow they pull the front wheel in third") in third gear. If not, I will ask you at the SEMA show next week. ("the people we do biz") You will be there right?!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am sorry that you disagree with my post. (my name is Kenny, by the way, no alias) I was just merely stating that exhaust is a complicated subject and that a dyno chart would be nice. At time of post, I could not find a dyno chart ("FYI we have close to 25 miles of dyno pulls on one of our shop bikes") on the website. As of this post, there is still no dyno chart on the website. (if there is one, please post a link).

I understand that these exhuast systems are your livelyhood,(this is your first post to our forum too, I am glad it was such a well written, plesant one, welcome!) but the proof is in the pudding. Lets have a dyno chart.

I, as an ASE certified technician (I will PM my credentials if necessary, what are your professional credentials?) in advanced engine performance, understand the importance in exhaust scavenging (which DOES apply to the entire exhaust system, especially on a motorcycle), and I understand that short does not necessarly mean bad, but once again, lets see a dyno chart. After all, you have run 25 miles on your dyno, I am sure you have specs on this stuff. I have not rewritten the laws of exhaust back pressure, all of this stuff is widely documented. (granted, my diagrams were not the best)

One last note, please reply to my wheelie thread, if you are getting wheelies("by the way how does any body figure our bikes are slow they pull the front wheel in third") in third gear. If not, I will ask you at the SEMA show next week. ("the people we do biz") You will be there right?!
:woot

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey kenny or whatever your name is, thats a whole bunch of bench racing babble you bafoon. your scavenging crap might impress people who dont know what your talking about but it would seem to me that any blockage in the system like a converter or the stock muffler shoots your theory out of the water, scavenging only pertains to the headers and once the exhaust passes the crossover pipe scavenging gets canceled out the piston is always PUSHING on the exhaust stroke enery time thats the way it is and FYI we have close to 25 miles of dyno pulls on one of our shop bikes and compairing an exhaust as a siphon? and those diagrams? Dude we dont want to burst your bubble the people we do biz with could care less about people like you who have nothing better to do then bad mouth people who you know nothing about, we have been building bike motors long before there was any such thing as a blog so thats my two cents and Krzysiopl if you see this shoot us an email through our site and we will gladly send you one of our M-80s to check out and send us some pics of your ride!!! Let us know what color you want. Hey sexyNpink if you have a mini ninja give us a shout out and well get an M-80 out to you too. Send us pics and stories of your little ninjas we are starting a monthly feature section soon and we are looking for articals on readers rides it should be cool. We just like the way these little pipes clean up the back of these sweet little bikes. Soory if we stressed out all you haters out there we are just having fun dont be creul, by the way how does any body figure our bikes are slow they pull the front wheel in third? RIDE WIDE MAICO MARC
Ay caramba! Chillax homie. I wouldn't even want to do business with you even if it was free.

Time to start acting a little more professional, buddy. :slap

·
Registered
113 Posts
I normally don't reply to posts like MaicoMarc's, and I probably shouldn't have. I was just genuinely pissed off by the personal attacks included in his post. If he didn't agree with my post, thats cool, but a "bafoon"?! By the looks of it, he signed up just to post his thoughts about me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Update: I did finally find a dyno chart on th Maico website. http://www.maicomfg.com/Parts.php. It is below several ranting, large font, sentences. It appears that the ninja did gain power. The page isn't real clear if only the muffler is used during the dyno test. Everything written on the website has the proper spelling and composition that MaicoMarc's previous post had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why are you guys so hostile?, and the third gear is in the up vid if you look. sorry we got you guys so worked up. we are just havin fun with a wicked cool bike man. hey kenny thats cool I was an ase wrench all throught the 80s and early 90s then started doing jet engine work till that started drying up so we went on to commersial bracketing. I my self have been building kawi motors sicne the early 80s my first bike was a yamaha datona 400 and my second was a GPZ 1100, next came an old katana 1000 and so on. bikes have been a hobby and passion of mine for many many years. Oh our complete bikes are 7K not 9k, althought we did sell a 2008 for 9K but we did a knife edge crank and bottom end studs with heli coils. We dont do that often because you cant do that on race motors. oh and I did 8years doing outboard powerheads for a rebuilding co but that was part time, but anyway sorry to bring out the dark side of you guys, talk to you latter, one more thing do the math if you buy a bike for $4500.00 and $2500.00 worth of mods in the motor why is that such a crime to sell it for what you have into it? I think its a good deal. take it easy MM.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry for our unjust hostility.
("racing babble you bafoon, scavenging crap, could care less about people like you, you know nothing about")

You would expect that kind of hostility towards a person that registered, and posted to our forum solely to personally insult a forum member.

Even if you built a $2500 bike that ran a quarter mile in 6 seconds, I still would not do business with you. After seeing your website, and your remarks on this forum, I have no desire to do business with you at all.

Professionalism aside.
(I am a man of detail. As a man of detail, I ensure that all of my words are spelled correctly, and that my grammar roughly resembles that of the English language. At least most of the time.
The attention to details that you give your writing, I believe, directly reflects the attention to detail that you give other things. Detail is important at ten-thousand RPMs.
)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i looked around and read a lot about this stuff...and i guess i'd skip the m-80 unless somone else can prove that its worth the money. M-80 is only a slip on piece...i go by "go big or go home" so i guess a full CF Yoshi is whats on my list before the riding season starts :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.