Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched all over the interweb and couldn't find the specific answer i was looking for. so here goes. i plan on putting a 15T front sprocket and 44T rear on my (2012) Ninja 250 because i want to lower highway rpms. i know the 15T is a good choice from what Ive read, but im not sure what size to go with on the rear. if anyone has a better combo to reduce highway (70-80mph) rpms, let me know

·
Registered
478 Posts
Most find that a 15/41 or 15/42 set up is better for what you want to do. You still maintain low end acceleration and reduce top end rpms and better top speed.

With a 15/41 setup, 7.5k rpm will get you approx 72 mph(actual), 75 mph (indicated) in 6th gear. Make sure you shim the needles & remove the snorkel as it makes the bike ride better with the sprocket change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue, its been some time, and i have changed out my sprockets, im running a 15/42 setup. being that i am an idiot when it comes to mechanical stuff, what is shimming the needles and removing the snorkel...what is the purpose and why does it make the bike "better"

·
Registered
478 Posts
Simply put, shimming the carb needles allows a little more fuel in the midrange and removing the snorkel allows a little more air throughout the range. All this equals a little boost and power to the bike, especially in the midrange rpms (7-10k). It also smooths out the acceleration, in other words it will get rid of that flat spot @ 7-7.5k that might be happening in 6th gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts