Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Iv been thinking bout grabbing this helmet, the sale ends 5/1/13, has a flip down sunshade so cool, heard there's wind noise at around 75, but I think that's worth it to be bumpin some tunes!! ROCK HARD RIDE FREE

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Sorry to cast the sour notes, but two observations:

First, there is NO WAY in hell that a helmet at that price point is gonna offer the same level of protection that a quality helmet (like my Shoei RF-1100) will in the event of a crash. That, to me, is the #1 purpose of a helmet..I don't really care that much about how it looks, its protective qualities are the most important factor. As I always used to ask parents/riders after they drop several grand on a bike and new gear, then try to buy the cheapo helmet...."How much is your head worth?" and/or "How good is your long-term medical care insurance (for after you're reduced to a drooling vegetable)?"

Remember, there are two kinds of bikers: Those who've laid their bike down, and those who will. :)

Second, as much as I LOVE music (and metal is great for riding to), the idea of blasting tunes when riding is insane to me. Hell, the best music on two wheels is the sound of the bike!! As stupid as cagers are I really want to try to be able to HEAR when one of them tries to overtake or run me off the road.

·
Registered
917 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the helmet today, didn't get to ride with it yet but I did listen to the audio and the speakers sound good, only problem so for is that it's narrower then my old helmet so my ears are a tight fit (there also stretched to 3/4 of an inch) other then that it fits great.... Just debating if I wanna send it back for a larger one or hope the sides just need worn in. Either way seems like a great helmet! Once I test in on the road I'll post again.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a little test run with it and does seem to be some wind noise but there was also a good 10mph wind today in Delaware. Aside from the fit I love the helmet, though after I got home and took it off there were some pressure marks on my forehead and cheeks from the padding so I think I'm gonna try and send it back for a Large

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went and tried one on today at cyclegear, first couldn't talk to Siri from the directional pad on the helmet: didn't seem like I could see to we'll outa the helmet, compared to another one: all in all there was just too much going on with the helmet for a first time rider, so i passed and gunna get a different helmet; thinking safety first; ROCK HARD ImageUploadedByMO Free1366262069.728721.jpg

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sorry to cast the sour notes, but two observations:

First, there is NO WAY in hell that a helmet at that price point is gonna offer the same level of protection that a quality helmet (like my Shoei RF-1100) will in the event of a crash.
Neither price, maker or helmet standard alone can make a helmet superior to another. If you think that a helmet standard or expensive price determines that it will hold up better in a crash than say a much cheaper helmet with a different standard or certification, that would be an uneducated assumption.

Motorcycle helmet standards and design have been a point of contention for years and there is still no real clear evidence that an expensive or name brand helmet will hold up better or protect a rider better in a crash. In fact there is evidence to the contrary. This Motorcycle Helmet FAQ answers a lot of questions about helmets and helmet standards.You mentioned that you have a Shoei RF-1100, which is a pretty pricey helmet. The recognized brand name Shoei RF-1100 is a Snell approved helmet, which should make it that much better having a profound certification rating. Right? I have helmet I paid $125 for. It's made by the second largest U.S. helmet seller. It weighs about 3 lbs, and is Snell Certified like yours. Which means my melon is just as safe as your melon in a crash and I paid about $250 less than you.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
How was the fit over your ears? What size helmet do you wear?

I tried on a large, the ears were kinda tight kinda hurt a little; the helmet looked really big and tall, I'm gunna go with something with some colors that drawer more attention, the guy said they weren't getting more for a month or so and that was the only color: I'm gunna get the an AMERICAN flag one that's more my style, MERICA

·
Registered
152 Posts
I haven found how to start a new topic so ill just start one here, looking into my first bike I'm Going to buy in a couple weeks: was encouraged to get something with fuel injection so I'm really looking at the 2012 ninja 250: looking to pay around 3,500: do u guys think the fuel injection is worth the extra 600 bux or so???

1 - 20 of 38 Posts