Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 224 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
How can we prevent this from happening again?
By taking it to the track instead of on the street. No offense meant but that's the truth of it all.

Sorry to hear of the mishap. Glad everyone else had a great time.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
By taking it to the track instead of on the street. No offense meant but that's the truth of it all.

Sorry to hear of the mishap. Glad everyone else had a great time.
We weren't racing the street Sub. We are not stupid, this was a cruise on a twistie road through the country to get to a small little mountain town. John happened to make a mistake riding. He was trying to avoid the accident by going around him instead of slowing down.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I'm not nor did I say anyone was "racing the street". But what was it that caused John #1 to have the incident?????????
You said that he ran wide and had to recover from that (which he was able to). To me, his running wide indicates that he was more then likely going above the posted speed limit for that turn and/or riding above his means on a road he didn't fully know or know at all. That is the type of riding that needs to be taken to the track. If a person is going to ride at any pace above street legal and hugging turns it needs to be taken to the track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not nor did I say anyone was "racing the street". But what was it that caused John #1 to have the incident?????????
You said that he ran wide and had to recover from that (which he was able to). To me, his running wide indicates that he was more then likely going above the posted speed limit for that turn and/or riding above his means on a road he didn't fully know or know at all. That is the type of riding that needs to be taken to the track. If a person is going to ride at any pace above street legal and hugging turns it needs to be taken to the track.

this person had less than 2 weeks of experience... im sure everyone has had 1 oh shit moment when they first started out. Like christian stated, it was a cruise at your own pace. When riding, anything can happen on the track or on the street

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
this person had less than 2 weeks of experience... im sure everyone has had 1 oh shit moment when they first started out. Like christian stated, it was a cruise at your own pace. When riding, anything can happen on the track or on the street
That is true. Anything can happen.

My whole point was when a rider is riding their own ride and within their experience /limits the chances of incidents (aside from accidentally dropping your bike and cagers) are extremely slim. On the street there at hundreds more variables (if not more) then there are on the track. So in that riding at any pace that is not street legal is not wise for the experienced or novice.

Stealth - I also was in no way trying to imply anyone was "stupid". So please do not take it that way.

Also. I am talking about the incident with John #1 who was able to recover. I am stating my opinion based on the information provided on the incident.

·
Head Janitor
699 Posts
Okay kids, we can definitely take this as a learning experience since this forum will naturally have a higher percentage of new riders. For future group rides, we should have newer riders follow a designated rider at a slightly slower pace. I've had a few "oh shit" moments when I first started riding with other people, but luckily it wasn't too bad. Whatever happened, happened. Lets all not get too critical or defensive. :thumb

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
If SubZero needs a hug, I'll happily volunteer.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
My whole point was when a rider is riding their own ride and within their experience /limits the chances of incidents (aside from accidentally dropping your bike and cagers) are extremely slim. On the street there at hundreds more variables (if not more) then there are on the track. So in that riding at any pace that is not street legal is not wise for the experienced or novice.
Ok guys since riding a bike is dangerous don't ride it on the streets only ride a motorcycle on a track. If you just want to go get gas, trailer your bike down to the gas station to fill it up don't take the risk of riding it. :nono Better yet sell your bikes.

·
Head Janitor
699 Posts
Well, MSF did teach us that there's an inherit risk with riding. You do what you can to manage the risks and not to increase it.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I agree with Vtec. This isn't worth getting all butt-hurt about. I crashed two weeks into my riding career as well.

Maybe we need to think about helping newer riders get some crash-free riding experience before they do long canyon rides.

Ride safe,

H~

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I agree and disagree. If one has good companionship who's purpose is to help them on the ride, then a long canyon ride can be just as or more beneficial to their experience as local practicing. Similar arguements can be made about putting a new rider on the track, yet SubZero did like 6 track days in 4 months when she first started riding. This ride wasn't a group help ride, it was a general meet/canyon ride.

And actually, this semi-arguement is on the topic of Jonathan, the rider that DIDN'T go down. He's the one with limited experience. I don't see how there's any arguement at all since he in fact didn't crash. He made a mistake, like even the most experienced riders have done, but he was able to save it. Kudos to him.

John, with 3-4 years riding experienced, did crash, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. Were he less experienced, there's a good chance he would have hit Jonathan and caused a much worse situation. His experience told him to avoid the 'target', which he did. Although crashing is never associated with 'success', he successfully limited the chaos that could have been.

While he was down, he kept apologizing, if/when he reads this, I said it then and I'm saying it now, he has nothing to apologize for to any of us. He avoided hitting another rider, and he's still alive. I'm glad to have been there to help (even though I got there like 10 minutes after), and I hope he heals well.

·
Head Janitor
699 Posts
I hope John is okay. I know the feeling when you try to avoid hitting another rider. At least John was able to minimized it to himself, I wasn't lucky enough to kept the crash to myself years ago. :(

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
i hope john is okay. I know the feeling when you try to avoid hitting another rider. At least john was able to minimized it to himself, i wasn't lucky enough to kept the crash to myself years ago. :(
post the video!!! :flame3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Huge thanks to ZMoe (and everyone else, too) for their help yesterday after the accident.

Just wanna say that no one was racing. There were riders of every skill level on the cruise and everyone was encouraged to ride at their own speeds... Chris was always the tail. Like any accident, it could have been avoided in hindsight. I hope John recovers quickly and if I hear anything bout his status I'll def post up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This kind of thing is hard to prevent from a planners stand point. it is in each rider that decides to go to try to keep themselves out of harms way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This kind of thing is hard to prevent from a planners stand point. it is in each rider that decides to go to try to keep themselves out of harms way.
That is very true. However, a few positive and sincere words of encouragement to be careful and ride within your limits can go a long way towards helping everyone decide to not do something that can cause them to crash.

181 - 200 of 224 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.