Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

'08 250 Capabilities

12K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  SubZero 
#1 ·
I have seen alot of stuff on the net saying how great this bike is, but not alot on what it can do... Any of you guys here up to a riders review? Looking for the kind of stuff you'd get from riding this thing more than one time and saying yeah its great! has anyone had any long rides? what do you like or not? How fast have you got it to (anyone top out)? how is it at freeway speed (80ish?) does it still have enough power to get up and go at this speed? do you feel like your going to get blown off the road by passing cars?

Looking for honest pros an cons. I am SERIOUSLY considering this bike as my first, but due to the fact they are very hard to find in this area, I can't even sit on one before i throw some money in and wait even longer for it to be delivered.

I know this isn't going to be a GSXR thats why im interested in it. Honestly I've been shopping around for almost a year, looking strongly at the Suzuki GS500f. Now that I almost have enough money built up its decision time.

Since my search started, I've literally sat on at about 100 bikes.. The most comfortable has been a Katana 600, SV650, Ninja 500 and GS500f. Untill these new 250s came out I was about sold on the GS500f. How would you say it compares ergonomics wise to those listed? Anything similar? Hopefully I'll be able to actually catch one of the 09's in the stealership soon...

Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Ninja 250R is the hottest bike right now, and it will be for a while so you'll pay top dollars to get your hands on one. As far as highway speed, you'll have no problem going 80mph. However, when it's about 90mph or so then it gets a bit slow at getting up to speed. To be honest, I don't even know if it will get to 120 (indicated) as the speedometer suggests. But, you shouldn't have a problem with passing cars at freeway speed depending on how fast you're going of course. I commute about 100 miles a day on it, through 3 freeways and 2 toll roads, a mix of heavy traffic and open road, and the 250 is fine for me. Bikes are different than cars, so you'll get blown around on the freeway a bit regardless of what you ride. However, compare to the old 250 and the new 250, the new 250 has better wind protection and you don't get blown around as much. Unfortunately, I don't have any extensive experience with the bikes you listed though. :scooter

#3 ·
Cosmetically speaking, and based on time...

Cosmetically: If you want an ugly 500, get the Ninja 500. It's a typical inline engine. Most mechanics I've talked to about the GS500 (probably about 7 guys) have said they hate working on it (inline twin). If you're going to get a 600+, I'd recommend the SV650, or SV650S for better wind aerodynamics. The Katana's tend to be heavier.

Based on time: Is waiting for a '08 250 really worth it to you? Find a friend or make friends with someone near you that already has one. Sit on it, eventually ride it, and make the decision on whether or not it's worth waiting for. Personally I don't think it is. That's just an opinion.

#4 ·
Yeah. What he said (Vtech)............

But also;

I am 5' 7" and 135 lbs and on my old 250 getting knocked around in the wind was all too common. On this bike it barely moves. Which is extremely nice. Not to mention you can adjust the suspension for a more comfortable ride.
I have sat on the GS500F and I must say that for me, the 250R was much more comfortable and had a better seating position. Not to mention how much lighter the 250R is compared to the GS500F. If you're small size wise the 250 will probably be your best bet.
Getting up to speed is nothing on the 250. I have not rode a 500 or a 650 so I cannot place an opinion on their throttle feel but know people who race both cc's and they say that they are not snappy or quick on the trottle like a I4 600 is. It's more linear. (I think that's the right word) The 250 jetted makes the throttle snappy and right on the money like a 600 only the power boost won't throw you. At freeway speed the bike tracks extremely well, unlike the older models, and will pass cars with ease. I have not topped out the bike but have got her to 98mph on the front straight of a racetrack and the bike still had more to go. I don't know if it will hit the top speed but am very sure it will have no problem hitting triple digits.
Long rides on the bike for me are fine. But not for some because of the bikes sport bike style ergonomics. My suggestion to you is to go and spend some time sitting on a ZX6. It has the closest seating position to the ZX2 and will give you an idea as to how the ZX2 is going to feel. It won't be exact though.

As of now I have no cons for this bike. It's (to me) 100% better then the old model and so fun to ride. Not to mention 100 times easier to ride then the old models.
Hope I was able to help some. Best of luck in your search.
:D

#5 ·
Top the bike at 105 mph. Its a great lil bike. my bro has a 03 gsxr 600 and that bike has always scared me, didnt want to get on a bike because of it. Then a few months ago i got the 250r. Its a total confidence builder. Im not on othe 600 yet, but i know that the 250r teaches me the right stuff.

My friend got a sv650s since he couldnt get hold of the 250r, my second choice also, and he is doing well learning on it.

#6 ·
Let me start out by saying I bought my 08 3 months ago and it is my first bike, so i dont have the experience of alot people here....but I'm with SubZero on this one as I too have no problems with this bike. I bought it for daily commuting to and from work and it's been working out great, rain or shine. I have only been just above 80 on it but no complaints and like Vtec44 said gettting to 80 was no problem but I cant speek for after that. This bike has been a great confidence builder for me and if I had to do it again I would buy this bike again. I'm 5'6" 170 and the height of the 250 is perfect, the throttle is great,I have not even come close to breaking the ass end loose....I'm a speed freak and the 250 probably helps keep out "serious" trouble as I have to run through all the gears to make serious speed. Everybody told me "get the 600, you'll outgrow that 250 in 2 weeks" but I stuck toto my guns and bought what I wanted. I hope this helps you. Good luck with whatever you get.

#7 ·
Lovin' it

This is my first as well and I'm know I made the right choice. Kawi got it right in all the right places. The styling, and rarity, gets everyone looking and complimenting. I don't find myself concerned with "out-growing" it, more anxious to grow with it. It's extremely easy to ride and become comfortable with. This is the kind of bike the aftermarket runs with. By this time next year there will be everything available to put the "super" in front of the "sport" and really demand respect among any class.

#8 ·
I too just got this bike 3 weeks ago and have put almost 400 miles on it allready. My first street bike, but owned a few dirt bikes & 4 wheelers in the past. I commute 50 miles for work and have had nothing but enjoyment from this bike so far! Easy to ride & handle for me @ 5' 10" 145lbs.
I bought this bike (@ 240mi.) from a guy who got it for his wife, but I guess she didn't take to riding. Better for me!
I have ridden other street/sport bikes in the past, but I have to say this one "feels" the most comfortable overall at low & high speeds.

#11 ·
As far as first hand rider experience goes mine, is with the older model 250... This was/is a pretty good platform to start with and shares most of the same hardware as the new generation 250. The '08 engine is the same as the previous engine except it is rated at 1 hp less on the newer model. The forks and suspension look pretty much the same as the older gen 250 as well. I've looked at the '08 model numerous times but I haven't noticed any fork adjustment controls on them and that's consistent with the previous models... The older 250's rear shock had no adjustability and the 08's I've seen were the same... The seat height is an inch taller on the '08 as are the wheels 17"...

The ride of the 250 is pretty plush... The front end seems a bit too soft to me in that under braking the nose dips a bit more then I'd like... The ergonomics are pretty up right and comfy as compared all out sportbikes which tend towards more aggressive riding positions... This translates into less rider fatigue especially for the new rider who's not use to sportbikes...

Getting up to speed is not too much trouble... All you need is a lot of RPM's... Mine seems to require at or near red line rpm's in order to generate any horse power... But when up to the desired (freeway)speed it cruises along just fine... 80mph is no problamo.. I know there's more in there, I've just not explored as I've usually got a passenger...

Hope this helps with your decision...

#12 ·
The rear shock is 5-way adjustable..The seat just isn't too great..I'm 6'3" and the forward lean and my knees being so high kinda pushes my junk against the tank which goes without saying can be a little uncomfortable..I had a CBR1000 two years ago and I have just as much fun on this...its not gonna go 170mph but its fast enough to have fun on.

#14 ·
This is my first street bike also and have no complaints. In fact I love it. It is a very comfortable ride, I have had it on freeway a few times gotten blown around but never felt like i did not have control. Plenty fast for me now I have had it up to about 95 miles per hour but that's it.

#15 ·
Ive been riding for 20 years ... Everything from harleys to fzr 400 and 600 to ninja 750 hurriane 600 gsx 750 and 1100 rm 125 and 250...the list goes on... And id just like to add that this little bike is a step above when it comes to fun factor... Its not very often that you can really ride a gsx-r 750 hard and its just not that fun of a bike to putter around on... With the 250 i can be in the throttle a ton all day only maybe barely breaking a few of the strictly enforced country limits.... Damn the man...

#17 · (Edited)
If this is going to be your first bike, you can't go wrong with the 250. Not only is the bike forgiving for beginners, it also is a confidence builder like what everyone is saying. Why do you think you hear so many people saying that they outgrow the bike in such a short period? With the gas prices these days and the new look of the bike, why would you get anything different other than for more power? As far as freeway riding, just tuck in tightly and you should be in good shape.

#19 ·
The bike is just as capable as any big bike. I just had it out on the track last week and believe me the cornering speed is actually faster then the big bikes. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.