Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum banner

How cheap is too cheap?

Tags
cheap
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BoBo 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for a while and wanted to say it's a great community.

I am new to riding, just passed my MSF and am waiting for my new m-endorsed license to come in the mail. In the meantime I am looking at getting a Ninja 250 -- ideally post-2008.

My question (and maybe this is dumb, so I apologize) is how cheap is too cheap? I've been looking on Craigslist and I see bikes price about what I thought they'd be -- like $2,300 and higher. But I also see some around $1200, $1500. I know that there's obviously going to be a range and that the cheaper models might need work or something, but is there a point at which you should be suspicious because a bike is just *too* cheap? Like, there *must* be something wrong with it?

I've read online about some of the things to look for when buying used, but I guess I am still worried about being a new and being sold a bill of goods...

Anyway, thanks for any advice!

-N

See less See more
#2 ·
It's really dead here!

You want a ninja 250 for around $2k-2.5k. Look for obvious & typical problems and make sure the bike rides straight. Just make sure to get a clean title. Do match the vin # on the title to the frame located on the front under the handle bar. Don't be afraid of a 20k mile bike, as long as it's well maintained. My bike is about 18k, but runs better than the average 10k mile ninjas only because I take care of my bike. I don't cut corners on my toys.

I'm sure you can find a cheaper ninja. However, you might be looking at a neglected bike. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.