Losing power/stuttering at at mid to high rpm's - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Losing power/stuttering at at mid to high rpm's

I have a 2009 ninja with 2700 miles on it. I bought it new and have kept up maintenance by the book.

Recently, it has started to lose power and stutter (best way I can think to explain it) at around 7k and up when rolling hard on the throttle (accelerating quickly). It will lose power then pick up again and will do this over and over again until I roll of the throttle.

This will happen in any gear when accelerating hard but will also do it when trying to speed up past 55/60 whether hard on the throttle or not.

I have noticed that it is worse on a warm day, on cold days it rarely happens.

I am new to motorcycles and mechanics in general, I cleaned the air filter but have been trying to find a good place to start since that did not alleviate the problem. Any help that one might be able to provide would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Possible carburation issue. Have you done any mods? Clean the carb and check the spark plug.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 AM

How old is the fuel in the tank? You bought this bike new in 2009 and it only has 2700 miles on it. This tells me that this bike has sat a good bit in the time you have owned it. If this sounds accurate, you could be needing to do some carb cleaning. You can try to run some STP fuel system cleaner to see if you can clear up the problem. If this is not effective you'll probably need to pull the carbs and clean the main jet, Pilot jet, as well as the passages in the carb body.

This link is very helpful and informative for doing a carb cleaning job.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleaning_the_carbs_1

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I bought it new in March this year. The dealer still had a few 2009's they had not sold and were still in the crate. I bought the 2009 because I was told there was not difference between the 2009 and 2010 or 11 other than aesthetics (and I got it for a much better price).

I should have mentioned that I have not installed any mods yet. I will check the plugs and clean the carb. Thanks for the responses and the links. I will post a follow up as soon as I have done that.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 01:00 PM

I have noticed too that on top of old gas, cheap gas can also affect the way the bike runs. High grade works out really well. But I am in the same boat as you. Started riding in '09 with no real mechanical experience to speak of. Been ok so far with maintenance but I should probably clean my carb myself. Also, one time I put some really high performance Motorcycle oil in it and it really slowed my bike and it would shutter during acceleration kinda like what you are experiencing.

'09 Ninja 250
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.

Last edited by bullet3; 06-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I only use Chevron because it has techron (88 octane, the book suggests 87 but chevron here only has 86, 88, and 90) and a few mechanics have told me it helps to keep your engine clean.

Mine is a 09' but I bought it this year and it came straight out of the crate. I haven't changed the oil recently (it hasn't needed it since the first oil change) so I don't think that is the issue.

I will run some fuel cleaner; I am on the second tank of gas since the problem started soI don't think it's bad gas but I guess it's possible that some bag gas may have clogged something.

So after cleaning the carb, I do need to resync it?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention a couple of things. I have had a few back fires when starting my bike. And it has been hard to start at times, even on a warm day.

I pulled the spark plugs out and found that the gaps on them were off so I corrected that and the bike did start up a lot easier (hard to tell if that will continue to be true without a few days of riding behind me). I also put in some sea foam and it seems to be acting a little better but today was a cold day so I will have to wait for it to warm up again to be sure.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 AM

If you have only had the bike since March and it was a new old stock vehicle I would disregard carb cleaning process for now. 2700 miles in three months is not bad.

Have you had the bike in for the post breakin period service?

Run another tank or so through the bike and see if the problem clears up. Could be a fuel related issue. If it does not clear up you might want to have a it looked at.

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I did have it in. I will run another tank with sea foam. I thought it was getting better but that may only be because it as a colder day. I am planning to bring it into the shop but it is my primary mode of transportation so finding the right day is difficult. I guess my wife will have to go without her car for a day.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 PM

New member wooterz!

I'm having this same Problem! at about 9000 rpms it skipps for a second. this happenes through every gear at the same rpm.I've had my carb cleaned and also had them synced! Honestly I'm getting really sick of this bike
Could it be my mods? Did I over rev it or something.
-tooth down sprocket
-Short pipe HR1exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement