Mechanic coined her "The bike from hell." (YouTube clip) - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Mechanic coined her "The bike from hell." (YouTube clip)

My friend/mechanic has coined her "the bike from hell." This Ninja 250 has only 8,600 miles on it and was running great when I bought it for my girlfriend last December. After giving it a tuneup, it has become a nightmare that has only gotten worse with time. It seems the more work we do on her, the more temperamental she gets.

Her symptoms are: high idle, drops a cylinder, then bogs out and stalls.

At this point, she will start when COLD with full choke. If you take her off choke and give her any gas, she will bog down and stall as in the video. Afterwards, it is very hard to get her started again.

Does anyone have any ideas? We just ordered a CDI as a last ditch effort, because we can't think of anything else...

Here's what we've done so far:

1. Drained tank and filled with fresh gas.
2. New oiled air filter.
3. Oil change.
4. New NGK plugs.
5. Tested all electric and coils.
6. Pulled and cleaned carbs (weren't that dirty). Started running even worse after this.
7. Pulled and cleaned carbs AGAIN.
8. Valve adjustment. (Intake valves were tight)
9. Video = current condition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Done any carb adjustment/jetting?

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja250grief View Post
My friend/mechanic has coined her "the bike from hell." This Ninja 250 has only 8,600 miles on it and was running great when I bought it for my girlfriend last December. After giving it a tuneup, it has become a nightmare that has only gotten worse with time. It seems the more work we do on her, the more temperamental she gets.

Her symptoms are: high idle, drops a cylinder, then bogs out and stalls.

At this point, she will start when COLD with full choke. If you take her off choke and give her any gas, she will bog down and stall as in the video. Afterwards, it is very hard to get her started again.

YouTube - ‪Troublesome Ninja 250 (rough idle, drops cylinder, bogs, then stalls)‬‏

Does anyone have any ideas? We just ordered a CDI as a last ditch effort, because we can't think of anything else...

Here's what we've done so far:

1. Drained tank and filled with fresh gas.
2. New oiled air filter.
3. Oil change.
4. New NGK plugs.
5. Tested all electric and coils.
6. Pulled and cleaned carbs (weren't that dirty). Started running even worse after this.
7. Pulled and cleaned carbs AGAIN.
8. Valve adjustment. (Intake valves were tight)
9. Video = current condition

Yes I know this is a zombie thread, but it evidently never got solved and the information I am about to give applies even now.

The problem is that the carbs are not sync'd properly.

This should be called the mechanic from hell as the problem lies in his incompetence.

Remember that the 250 is only a twin cylinder bike and carb sync is critical....

Let me repeat that again: Carb sync is critical.

Slight sync errors that on a four-cylinde4r would be masked somewhat are death on a twin, especially one with such small displacement.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 PM

doing a valve adjustment would help the idle, meaning a higher idle than what it was previously set as. The way it previously ran, with the valves out of adjustment, would mean that the idle would need to be set higher to stay at spec. So adjusting the valves correctly would result in a higher idle. All you need to do to fix that is bring down the idle speed with the nob underneath the fuel switch.

But before any of that: Un-synced carbs would cause it to drop a cylinder and bog down. Like Slick said, syncing them should get you close to fixing the issues you're experiencing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement