gas tank whistles - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

gas tank whistles

hey guys recently after i cut my gas tank off it will whistle obviously its not venting right because it stops when i open gas tank. where is the vent and how can i assure its venting well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM

I have that issue as well, the gasket on my gas cap is crusty & cracked. If it makes that noise, push the gas cap down and it it quiets, then you'll know that's the culprit. I could not find place to buy a replacement gasket, so I ordered a lightweight gas cap from slingshot racing. I looked at kawasaki parts house.however, I couldn't find a part # for the gasket.Hope that helps.

1. SLK 230K AMG SPORT
2. VW RABBIT 2.5
3. 08 Ninja 250R Track Prepared
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 AM

Whistling noises from the gas cap are normal. When you don't hear noise that's when a problem may occur. You will either have a vapor lock or a seal that leaks.

Also see this thread. https://www.250r.net/forum/showpost.p...91&postcount=3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Oh ok cool so this is normal. I knew it was vapors from the gas, it making noise just made me think there was a restriction somewhere causing it not to vent efficiently. thanks much kinda odd, think they would have designed it to not be annoying lol oh well thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 09:55 AM

I have a different sounding whistle. It's kind of weird that kawasaki would make something that annoying, so I check it out some more, some people say it is the "tank vent line" that is squished or clogged under the tank, and someone is talking about having a cracked gasket on a gas cap on a different forum. Another forum with people saying it just plain normal. Someone should shed more light in this topic. My part came already, I will let you guys know if it still makes that noise. I have a feeling mine is the gasket because when I push my cap down it quiets plus it sounds different. Some people are also talking about drilling under the cap's vent in another forum as well

Here are some links that talks about this issue.
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r...-gas-tank.html

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=9988

1. SLK 230K AMG SPORT
2. VW RABBIT 2.5

Last edited by BoBo; 03-07-2014 at 10:04 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Whistling noises from the gas cap are normal. When you don't hear noise that's when a problem may occur. You will either have a vapor lock or a seal that leaks.

Also see this thread. https://www.250r.net/forum/showpost.p...91&postcount=3
I think you are right, I saw this post from a guy consulting a Kawasaki Rep stating that it's a normal sound:

2008 Ninja 250R Gas Tank Noise / KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.
Kawasaki's response to my question about the gas tank noise. I wonder what it would sound likeif about 10 to 20 brand new 250's showed up after riding for 15 miles during a get together? It would sound like a musical orchrastra, right? I still do not think that it is right.A neighbor which is 1 full acre away walked over and asked why my bike was making that noise. I said it was a new fad. I would not have bought this bike if I knew it was going to do this all of the time. Other than the horrible noise, it is a fun bike. Bryan

KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.

Dear Mr. Yauger:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your concerns with your EX250-J8F.

As described in your email below; what you are hearing is a normal venting noise. The fuel tank builds up pressure which is then vented through the fuel cap assembly, many of our units have similar noises but I have been told the EX250 is more prominent. This noise is a normal function of the fuel systems with no way of altering or stopping it. When the unit is parked the quickest way to vent the tank would be to simply pop the cap quickly, this will put an end to the vent noise you are hearing. Obviously this is not a possibility if it is occurring while riding however.

Should you have any further questions please feel free to contact us at (949) 460-5688.

Sincerely,

KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.

1. SLK 230K AMG SPORT
2. VW RABBIT 2.5

Last edited by BoBo; 03-07-2014 at 10:02 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 AM

your article is as astounding. The clearness in your publish is simply great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement