oil plug+strong hand= Noob sadness - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Angry oil plug+strong hand= Noob sadness

Yes this just happened!!
I want my bike back, I need my bike back. One more day in my cage and I might have a break down (80 miles one way every day)! I have decided to go with JB weld or some other cheap quick shot in the dark. I just want it to hold for a month or twelve. I figure I cant make it any worse. Right?

1. Buy a new crankcase = $200 or more and weeks or months. Pray I don't screw it up. Keep in mind it was only an oil change that got me into this.

2. Buy a new motor = $600 probably more and weeks probably months to finish. 95% chance I do a whole lot more damage.

3. clean, drill the end of the crack and channel the length of it, JB and pray. Maybe even weld a patch over the crack. $10 and 1-2 hours. If that fails I can try number 1 or 2. Unless of course it fails doing 80 mph splitting a dump truck and a 18 wheeler on the 91 at 4am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM

I'd drain the oil and pull the pan off. Clean it very well with a degreaser and then JB weld if you're going to attempt that. You may be able to find a used pan on ebay for a lot cheaper. I'd go with a new (ebay) pan if I were you. Don't want that spilling oil all over your back tire at speed. Just my opinion. Oh and don't forget a new gasket for the pan.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 AM

Depending on what model year bike you have, it may be cheaper to replace a part or have a Time-Sert put in the oil drain hole. The inserts are iron. You can drill them out if you need to. Also the inside and outside are normal thread. Unlike helicoil. So you can drill the next size up and then put one inside another. They also have a small shoulder. So they can't back out. And they don't back out because they lock in mechanically and use thread lock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Well if I get a chance today I will clean, remove paint, scuff, drill the end of the crack but not all the way through, then Drimel a shallow channel along the crack and jb weld or some other type thing. I plan to let it set for a day or two add oil and check for leaks. Then test run it at low speed in the neighborhood for 10ish min then see what happens. The crack is not to big but I fear it might spread. I will show pics.
I looked this up for days and I see mixed reviews but most who tried said it works when done right. Also they were for holes not cracks.

- Yes, failing at speed is my fear I. commute 81 miles one way with open highway and traffic jam lane splitting.
-We all know what the best fix is but if that was an option the work would be complete and I would be ridding not typing.
-the damage is done so other than worst case(fail at 80mph) I cant make it any worse.
Thank you for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement