Engine idles to a stop after running a few minutes. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Engine idles to a stop after running a few minutes.

So I've tried everything I can think of and the next step is taking it to a mechanic and getting bent over. Any ideas or input is appreciated. Here is the problem described as best and concisely as I can followed by a link to a video of the bike in it's current state.

2007 Ninja 250 3500 miles. Tipped over by my student while parking, wouldn't start back up after 15 minutes passed. As is typical during a tip over I felt it needed to sit before starting again as the carbs were most likely flooded. it wouldn't start so I parked it thinking it would self correct with time. Came back a week later, wouldn't start. There was gas in the CA emissions recapture filter. Drained that. Got it started. It will run but then idles off. I've removed the carburetor and "cleaned" it (mind you there are only 3500 miles on this bike and it was pretty clean to begin with), removed the petcock and adjusted the spring and spacer. Replaced the plugs, checked the spark. Ran the bike with the fuel cap open in case there was a problem with the breather valve in the cap. The bike will start every time however it will only run for a while and then die. I also removed the fuel filter in the line where it enters into the carburetor. After all of that it still has the same problem. I cannot tell if there is an issue with the fuel flow as it appears to be suffering from fuel starvation, or if it is something else. Today 1/11/14 I attached a cylinder of gas directly into the carburetor so as to eliminate any possible petcock issues. Problem remains. If I do not gas it, keeping the rpms up, it eventually idles to a halt. I've turned the idle adjustment valves 1,2,and 2.5 turns from fully in. Same problem each time. I sprayed WD40 on the intake manifold liberally while running to see it there was a vacuum leak. I noticed no change in the rpm. At this point I'm at a loss. I know very little about carburetors and have no idea what to attempt next. Any useful input is appreciated. Here's a link to the video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 AM

wow. I'm also at a loss. During the reading, I would think of suggesting some stuff, but you've tried everything up to my knowledge. I wish I could help you, but it's tough without hearing how the bike's running and being there.

What I'm thinking is that there must be a crack somewhere due to the fall. As to why it will actually run, even for a short while, is beyond me.

You haven't noticed any type of fluid leaks or anything when the bike is parked?

If I were in your position, I might take it to a mechanic and just have him determine what the problem is and then I would try to fix it myself. Let the mechanic diagnosis it and then I would research into what it will take to fix it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. There aren't any leaks. Did you click on the photos? That should take you to a video of the bike running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 04:55 PM

I didn't click it before and just now clicked it. Honestly, I'm stumped.

Did you sync the carbs after you cleaned them?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

I know very little about carburetors. So, no, I didn't. Don't know how.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 07:49 PM

I see this is a few months old, I hope you have figured it out by now. If not I would suggest removing the bowls off both carbs and removing the main jets and slow jets and clean them out with carb cleaner. Make shure you can see through the hole in all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement