Project Bike - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Project Bike

So, I've just bought a 2000 Ninja 250 that doesn't run to fix up for my senior project. I'm in high school and just got into riding and decided this would be a good way to familiarize myself with maintenance, and just motorcycle parts in general. I've got little experience with engines which is another reason I'm doing this project, I want to learn. The bike cost me $170 and according to the previous owner was running until about three or four months ago. It seems like the engine has seized and I'm probably going to need to put a new one in it. The battery is good, but the engine wont turn over. I'm trying to complete this under $1000. Any ideas on what may have happened to the engine, ways to fix it, or tips on what to look for as I take on this project would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 PM

does the bike have the original instrument cluster and if so, how many miles does it have on it?

The engine seizing could be a number of things. The easiest thing you can do is open up the top end and learn how to check the valves. They should either be incredibly tight or possibly broken. As far as engines go, checking and adjusting the valves is probably the easiest thing to do. Doesn't necessarily mean it's an easy thing.

As far as replacing the engine, they're not impossible to find and ebay always has some listed. A good enough one to get it running again will be about $200, and a good enough engine to keep it running and rideable for a few years will probably cost about $400-$500.

If the engine won't even turn over, you could try replacing the spark plugs and at least check and see if the bike is even getting a spark through the plugs. That's probably the very first thing you should do actually.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

The engine has about 31000 miles on it. It seems that the previous owner didn't refill the water for the radiator and let the engine overheat causing it to seize. One of the spark plugs appeared to be in reasonable condition but the other was bad. I haven't learned how to check the valves yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Not too hard to check the valves. I'm guessing that if the spark plug was bad, and the PO left the engine overheat itself (and possibly blow a gasket), then the valves are either ridiculously tight and/or broken.

The abuse on the engine so far makes me think it's unsalvageable.

Here's how to check and adjust the valves:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...t_procedure%3F

Really all you need is a socket wrench and some feeler gauges to get in there and check them, aside from the tools needed to take the bike apart to get to the top of the engine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

When I tried to turn the crank, in an attempt to adjust the valves, it wouldn't budge. I'm guessing that this means I need a new engine, so I just ended up removing this one. Not very sure wheeee to go from here other than find a new engine and install it.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Also, as a side note, the key goes into the gas cap lock but won't turn all the way to get it unlocked. Any suggestions on what to do? I have already sprayed some wd40 into it to see if that helps but so far nothing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement