cold weather starting problems. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

cold weather starting problems.

Is it normal that your bike has to sit for 20 mins at 40 degrees before you can rev it?

Its bran new and i can not even move the bike when its 40 out with out letting it sit for 20 mins at idle.

-250R
Still breaking her in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 AM

Yeah my Bike acts the same way Not quite 20 Minutes but she only takes to really light riding until everything is warmed up. when you press on the throttle it seems to like bog out

'09 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Last edited by davisw4089; 03-13-2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: wrong number
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM

yes this is regular
the oil needs to sink in
and the bike is freezing .. giving it gas only makes it worse but ride your bike lightly after this because it could lead to flooding the system if you take off hard with it not COMPLETELY WARMED UP... then your REALLY stuck waiting 20 minutes at idle with the choke on waiting for the gas extra to flush out.. i know from experience ... So ride it soft for the first 20 minutes if its cold after a decent warmup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 02:46 PM

It has nothing to do with cold oil or flooding, the bike is set from the factory very very lean, even putting the choke on in cold weather will not heat it up quickly or provide enough fuel for cold weather operation.In cold weather (around or even below freezing) some choke must be used to operate properly while riding normally. The simple cure - get a jet kit even for a stock bike, make sure it comes with a new pilot jet. I can now start my bike even in -25C weather and have it idle and take throttle in under 5 minutes of choke time. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 PM

^ +1

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
It has nothing to do with cold oil or flooding, the bike is set from the factory very very lean, even putting the choke on in cold weather will not heat it up quickly or provide enough fuel for cold weather operation.In cold weather (around or even below freezing) some choke must be used to operate properly while riding normally. The simple cure - get a jet kit even for a stock bike, make sure it comes with a new pilot jet. I can now start my bike even in -25C weather and have it idle and take throttle in under 5 minutes of choke time. Hope this helps.
I know this is an old response, but thanks for this. My wife took her Ninja 250 out this morning and it was cold and damp outside (8 celcius) and the bike bogged pretty bad on her when she tried to take off from stops.

I explained that these carbs just don't like the cold air because they run lean from factory, but of course, she never believes anything I say, lol.

And I've been trying to convince her to get a K&N drop-in air filter with DynoJet kit. This might just be the best way to convince her, cause now she's really nervous about riding it on colder mornings.

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - special edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement