2001 project - have a list of questions.... - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

2001 project - have a list of questions....

Bought a 2001 ninja 250 as a project. Has 19100 miles on it.
Here is the list of things I need to sort out. Looking for guidance on what order to go in and how to do some of the work.

Cranks but won't start.
Left cylinder not firing.
I was told compression is low (125 l / 115 r)
There seems to be coolant in the oil.
The rocker arms on the exhaust valves of the left cylinder wiggle back and fourth.
Fork seals are shot.

So.... That's where I'm at. I'd appreciate any pointers anyone has. My goal for the project is to get it in running / riding shape and break even if I choose to sell it.

That being said I picked it up plus a spare motor with blown rings for $1000

Thanks
Gitter

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 07:46 PM

Hi Gitter.

If there's coolant in the oil, and compression is a little down on one side, it's possible the bike may have done a head gasket. Though if your measurements are in PSI, anything over 110 should still be sufficient to run.

I'd also check the water pump seal to the motor to see if that could be the culprit of the water in oil situation.

The loose exhaust rocker could cause an issue if the valve on that rocker isn't opening properly. If you can, swap the one from your other engine onto it, and see if that works?

Clean the carbies too, or while you have them off, squirt a bit of fuel straight down the inlet manifolds and wind it over, if it starts on both cylinders for a second or two, it might just be a carburetor issue?

Also: replace the plugs, if you haven't done so already. Some times it's as simple as a spark plug that's decided it doesn't want to spark any more?

If still no go, I'd be inclined to remove the head and check the gasket there...

Fork seals aren't usually a difficult job, but for a proper finish are often best left to a mechanic who can hone the fork legs and install the new seals carefully with the proper tools. They are VERY easy to damage if you're too rough installing them. But if you're so inclined, give them a go? There are a number of videos on YouTube that can give you a good how-to.

Hope that helps!

- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement