2009 ninja 250r engine ticking & knocking noise - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

2009 ninja 250r engine ticking & knocking noise

HI all,

Thank goodness for this forum.
I have a 2009 NINJA 250R, 6K miles, no modifications. I hope to give you as much details as possible.

Service History:
Got the bike used at about 4000 miles.
Flushed and replaced the coolant at about 4500 miles. After i passed the 5500 miles i noticed that i kept on loosing coolant and the heat signal kept on coming on when riding in low speeds . I kept on re-filling the reserve coolant tank up to that point then learned that i had to fill it from the filler neck, which was a little low in coolant. After that i have no problems with the bike heating up.
I have recently used seafoam on the gas tank for the last 2 consecutive fills(6 oz of seafoam with 3 gallons of gasoline).
I have also used seafoam right before an oil change 4 oz of seafoam and rode for about 75 miles. Again, i have used seafoam on the engine oil after the oil change, 4 oz of seafoam and rode for about 150 miles with new oil, then the sound started. Lastly, in order to cancel out problem, after this incident i changed the oil again and have not ridden the bike yet.
I have replaced both, front and rear break fluids 1 week before this noise.

Here is the Story.
I was riding on the highway doing about 90 mph on 90 degrees weather, when all of the sudden i felt that i was losing power followed by a LOUD knocking sound, i pulled the clutch (then the noise stopped when clutch is pulled in) and pulled over. I started the bike again and the knocking sound is there when idled.
I started riding the bike again, yes even with the noise and all the way home for about 25 miles. Both lights (engine & heat) came on and disapear when i roll on the accelerator. For the first 10 miles i was doing 50-55 mph then the noise started getting louder and it actually died on me then i pulled over again when at that point the bike would not start. I press the ignition switch but it would not start. After about 10 minutes it started again so i rode for another 5 miles and the bike died on me again and it wouldn't start. Let it sit for another 10 minutes and it started again and managed to get home. I changed the oil and filter and have not ridden the bike because the ticking and knocking sound are still there.

Please Help. Here is a link if you want to hear what it sounds like. The garage is closed when i took this video.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by ubxssangz; 07-08-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 PM

sounds like valves are ridiculously tight and possibly broken at this point. You should be doing valve adjustments every 6,000 miles. It can get really bad if this is ignored.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 PM

same exact thing happened to my '97, highway cruising then boom, high ticking sound and died, got about 3 miles before the power would just cut out. took like an hour to go 10 miles, its sitting in my apartment complex waiting for a remedy, i was suggested it was valves or a bent piston of some sort but have yet to get it to a shop of some sort. im interested in finding out the answer also. hope its not pricey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 PM

From what I understand, the 250 is suppose to be somewhat 'noisy.' When valves get too tight, it gets quieter, and that's when you need to worry. How's the oil level and when was the last time the oil was changed. Valves should be checked and adjusted as necessary every 7500 miles (on 2008 and newer).

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 06:33 AM

you can tell when the valves are tight. You can almost hear a scraping noise on the highway, from my own experience.

The only real noisy part about a stock 250 is the "kinks" when changing the gears. It's a high-revving machine, but not really noisy IMO.

I'd get into the valves asap. If you go to a shop to get it done, it may cost upwards of $250. If you learn to do it yourself, it's time consuming, but it's free. It's really not all that hard, and, again, it's just time consuming.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement