Idle and rev problems - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Idle and rev problems

Hello, I have a 06 ninja 250, and after bike is warmed up and I am riding, the idle doesn't rev down like it should when applying the clutch to slow down. I can run at 55 mph and engaged the clutch and the bike will rev down from normal 6000 rpms to 3700 rpms and stay there, until I come to a complete stop and then it revs down very slowly to 2100 rpms. While the clutch is engaged and stopped I can adjust the idle back down to 1200 rpms and as soon as I begin to ride and get to speed then engage the clutch it begins again, same problem. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Is it the clutch or is the throttle sticking?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Clutch seems to be fine, it just seems to stay at a higher rev longer than normal. Later today I played around with the trottle cable to make sure it wasn't tight or in a bind, and loosen it up at the handlebar adjustment but no difference and then put it back and now when I release the clutch in 1st gear it tries to die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Does the throttle and rpms act normal without a load? If you rev it up while in neutral do the revs fall back down like they should, does it have the same symptoms? Maybe the throttle cable in the carb is sticking. When did this problem show up?

I'm not quite clear what you mean by "applying the clutch to slow down". Besides switching gears the clutch lever shouldn't be pulled until you're just about at a complete stop.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about the confusion, When I am riding at 55mph and the tack is showing about 6000 rpm and then you are coming to a stop sign or light, you start to slow down by slowly reducing your throttle and start gearing down by squeezing the clutch from 6th to 5th and so on, and on most bikes as soon as you squeeze the clutch your rpm will drop back down to idle with no throttle. But this bike doesn't do that, if you are in top gear and you squeeze the clutch with no throttle the rpm only drops to 4000 rpm and it stays there until you are completely stopped and even then it will drop to only around 2500 rpm. While stopped and in first gear I have adjusted the idle back down to 1900 rpm and start to ride but as soon as I squeeze the clutch the same problems is there again. Appreciate any help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

To answer your question regarding in revving in neutral- sometimes it revs normal and sometimes it does not. the idle seems to always go back to 900 or 1000 rpm and the motor starts to knock at that idle speed, I try to adjust the idle but it will die or I can adjust up to 1900 or 2000rpm and then just as quick, idle back down to 900-1000 rpm. I am draining the tank today and replacing the gas with new gas.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Try a little carb cleaner while you're at it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement