250r losing power after tip - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

250r losing power after tip

Hey guys thanks for stopping by and reading..Let me start with saying by power I dont mean an electricity or engine problem necessarily, I mean torque and speed....here's a bit of backstory.
I have a 2010 Ninja 250r with about 4500 miles on it.
I want to make a long story short so here goes. My bike got tipped over around 6 am in the morning. I was woken up around 10 am, ran outside and got it set back up. It was leaking gas pretty bad through the cracks.
Well, I found out who tipped it over, and basically in order to not get charged for assault I agreed to not charge this person for the minor damage on my bike.

Well, I've rode it a few times since and I'm noticing it just feels less powerful than it had before.

Basically all of the lower gears (especially 1-3) seem pretty much useless. I switch through them almost instantly just to get any power and it seems to be giving off significantly less torque than before.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to anything motorcycle related so I'm not really sure where the problem lies.
I thought about the air filter, but I know it was almost brand knew when I bought it from my friend last November.

As a result of me being hot-headed and extremely pissed about my bike, and the person who tipped it over was on shift where I worked at the time, I am also currently out of a job so taking it in to be looked at is kind of out of the question for now, because I am assuming that could add up very quickly. I would appreciate any help I can get as to what is going on.

Also, the bike runs almost fine at top speeds in 6th gear. It does seem a bit less powerful than before, but my RPMs going 35+ aren't too far off. It's mostly just the low gears I can tell for sure just arent the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 AM

Being that your bike was on it's side for a long time, it's possible that you may have some oil in your airbox. Too much oil inside the airbox and on the air filter can choke air and keep it from entering the combustion chamber, resulting in poor running. Oil can possibly leak past the piston rings and foul the spark plugs. You should at least inspect and clean these things.

If you have a completely stock bike, the stock gearing is useless anyway. Consider a sprocket change and a few other improvements. See the tips in this post and also search the forum for other tips and maintenance information you may need.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM

How much have you ridden the bike after the tip and how soon after it was up righted did you ride it?

Fuel leaking out from the bike that has been tipped over is not unusual.. It is a gravity feed fuel system so fuel will migrate to the lowest points and when the bike has been laid over the lowest points are going to find gaps where fuel can escape from the bike.

I suspect the the power loss you are experiencing is across the board and not just in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It is just more noticeable in those gears as the engine is more likely to be revved up to higher RPM's then it would in 4th, 5th, and 6th. Higher RPM's demand more air and fuel to mix in the carburetors to produce more power to sustain the RPM level.

Having the bike upset for as long as it sounds like it was (approx 4hrs) gave the fuel a long time for it to find it's way out of the bowls and into other passages in the carbs disturbing their ability to mix air and fuel properly. Also, any particles in the bowls and in the carb bodies could be disturbed as well and could create obstructions in the carbs passages.

I don't believe you have any real problem that time and a few miles of riding won't resolve. If it makes you feel better you could run a bottle of carb cleaner like STP through the bike and see how it feels in a few days or a week depending on how many miles you put on it. If it still feel sluggish sync the carbs.

Dirt bikes get tipped over all the time. We usually just stand it up and ride it..

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
Yeah replacing the stock gearing is something I have been looking into actually. The only thing that isn't stock on it is the exhaust.
Also, I rode it almost immediately after figuring out it was tipped. It took a while to get started so I thought that it was just running a little sluggish due to the gas deal. Didn't really think of it messing with any of the insides up. I'll definitely take a look at the spark plugs since I don't think the previous owner ever did anyway. I'll just keep riding and see if the problem resolves itself and if not I'll look into the carb cleaner.
Thanks for the ideas guys. Made me feel a lot better about this whole thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement