Two Part Starter Issue - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Two Part Starter Issue

So this has two issues, I'll break them up:

1) Over the past few months, my 2008 250r has been sitting in the garage. When I returned to it last week, the bike unsurprisingly had issues starting. When the starter button is pushed, the motorcycle cranks but doesn't actually start. So for good measure, I did a carb clean (the carbs were pretty clean and had minimal gunk in the float bowls when I got to them, cleaned them out anyway), replaced the spark plugs, and replaced the battery. Checked the hoses and fuel filter, all clean. The bike still cranks with no start. I noticed that the new spark plugs I installed smelled of gasoline, so that's a indication that gas is getting pulled through the carbs, isn't it? What gives?

2) Second issue that I encountered during the process of issue #1: After several tries of cranking the bike to no avail, the battery must have lost its charge as a consequence. I then charged the battery, put it back into the bike, press the start button, then I hear a noticeable "pop" as it struggles to crank. I release the start button, press it again, and now it doesn't even crank but instead produces a "whirring" sound. Did the starter solenoid blow out? The fuse? What happened?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Did you check if you have water in the oil? My water pump leaked into crank case and my starter sounded like it was slipping. Just a thought.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement