Idle/stalling problems - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Idle/stalling problems

Hi, I have an 05 ninja 250 and I have been having this problem where my bike will idle fine and all of a sudden it kind of drops to aroun 1k rpm and lower and it will sometimes stall out or sometime it just returns to what theidle screw is set to which is around 1300-1500 rpms. I'm just curious why the problem could be? I know the carbs were just cleaned and it has been stored properly. I'm not sure if the carbs were synced after the cleaning tho. Ive also heard it may be air flow related. I also just put a brand new spring in he petcock because it was leaking. And also put new spark plugs in. I'm just making sure I say what I've recently did to the bike just incase it could be related. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM

1: Get the carbs synced ASAP. This is super critical, especially on a "twin" bike. 4-cyl bikes can get away with poor sync more than the 2-cyl ones can.

2: Make sure the caps for the vacuum nipples are on, and not leaking.

3: Double and triple check that the carbs are seated properly in the intake boots and airbox boots.

4: Make sure the air filter is installed properly. (Yes it only goes in a certain way as it is tapered.)

5: If you or the previous owner replaced the stock airbox with "pod" filters make sure the jetting is correct.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great reply! I'm gonna check all that and I did some more research last night and I cleaned the air filter and re oiled it but I'm pretty sure I over oiled the thing way too much. Could this cause an up and down idle? I'm gonna try and take it out and run it without the filter for a minute and see what happens. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_saint View Post
Thanks for the great reply! I'm gonna check all that and I did some more research last night and I cleaned the air filter and re oiled it but I'm pretty sure I over oiled the thing way too much. Could this cause an up and down idle? I'm gonna try and take it out and run it without the filter for a minute and see what happens. Thanks again
Yes over-oiling the filter can cause a lot of problems...by blocking the airflow it can act almost like leaving the choke on...redo it and leave it just damp with oil, not drenched.

Let us know what you find out.

I have come to terms with the possibility of dying while riding, life has a 100% death rate. I would rather live having fun and end up dead in a motorcycle crash than never do anything fun because it's dangerous and I might get killed. No one makes it out alive anyway. - From a friend on another forum, used with his permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement