Bike sat for 8+ months, wont run for more then a few seconds now - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Bike sat for 8+ months, wont run for more then a few seconds now

SO, I bought a Kawasaki Ninja 250 back in 2010. It was my first motorcycle, and I have pretty much zero mechanical expertise.

It ran fine for the first 2 years we had it, but, I'm military, and had to move to lovely Minot, North Dakota. If any of you know how military moves work, they want you to drain the fuel from the bike before they'll move it, for safety reasons I guess.

I drained it on my own by emptying the fuel from the tank ( i think, the drain i used was on the left side, right next to where you switch it from ON to PRIME ).

So, when we finally get moved in and our stuff arrives, so does winter. So we don't change the oil or put fuel in it or anything like that because, its fucking hella cold outside and theres no use trying to ride it like that anyway.

So, winter finally ended here about three weeks ago, so I decide to learn how to change the oil (which im pretty sure i did right) and put some fuel in it via gas can.

Tried starting it up, but the battery was dead. I tried jumping the battery from my car, but it wouldn't run for anything more then a few seconds, minutes at the most. I figured it had something to do with the battery being so dead, so I took it to a place to charge it overnight. Dude says batteries good, hook it back up, and it starts on it own now, but still dies after a few seconds.

What could be causing this? As I said, this is my first bike and im trying to become more familiar with it because, well, I need to be, right?

Any suggestions would be wonderful, and please forgive my ignorance =(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM

Most of your starting and running issues after the bike has been sitting for long periods are going to be caused by bad gas and dirty gunked up carbs. You will manually need to remove the carbs at this point to clean them well. You should also look at changing the plugs, coolant and air filter.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM

BTW, even though "its fucking hella cold outside" to actually ride a long distance, you can always find a day to wrap up and suck it up for a trip or two around the block. Your in the military for Christ's sake! Don't you train in the winter time? Must be Air Force huh?

This saves a lot of headache when spring time comes and you have to clean carbs, charge the battery, change the oil, etc. Winter maintenance is important especially if it is not stored correctly.

Semper Equitantes

Last edited by DaBlue1; 05-09-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm air force, but I'm pretty sure I would have died if I tried to take that thing around the block even once, considering the roads were pretty much frozen and snow packed during the entire winter. Also, our driveway was on a hill =/

Our moving conditions werent exactly "ideal" either. There was a lot of stuff that happened right before the move (two deaths in the family, among other drama) which gave me little to no time to find a house. Because of that, we were put in a super tiny home, most of our stuff didnt even get unpacked, and since we had to park in the drive way and the garage was filled, didnt really leave a lot of room to be doing anything in it.

Regardless, we've moved into a bigger home and ill actually be able to take care of it like I should have been doing. I just need to learn how =(

I found some rough tutorials for how to remove them, not so much on the cleaning side. I have a buddy who might be able to help me out with that though. Hopefully we get it going soon, I'm already out of my comfort zone with everything I've done, haha.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaXZeo View Post
.... Hopefully we get it going soon, I'm already out of my comfort zone with everything I've done, haha.
Aim High. You'll be flying around on your bike in no time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement