Help? Bike won't stay running - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Help? Bike won't stay running

So I just got my wife's bike out from storage today and opened the choke to start it and it did, but will not stay running after applying the throttle or closing the choke at all. I seriously let the bike run for 30 minutes with the choke open before I could rev the throttle up. What the hell?

The bike has 1200 miles on it and the dealership said it might need the carbs cleaned. Anybody have this problem or now a solution besides cleaning the carbs? it costs 85 each carb plus flushing the tank 45 and its not covered by the warranty.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Would help to get the carbs cleaned out, but try to adjust the idle nob on the left side right about where your knee is at when on the bike. I start my bike with the choke on then slowly take it off. Should idle around 1500 rpm's when warmed up and choke is off. I would try adjusting the idle nob first if that does not work probably getting the carbs cleaned will solve the problem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsy34 View Post
Would help to get the carbs cleaned out, but try to adjust the idle nob on the left side right about where your knee is at when on the bike. I start my bike with the choke on then slowly take it off. Should idle around 1500 rpm's when warmed up and choke is off. I would try adjusting the idle nob first if that does not work probably getting the carbs cleaned will solve the problem.
Yes, sir. I agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

That sucks. We live 100 miles away from any kawi dealer and every bike mechanic here (where i live)is a rip off. What if i just let it run the old gas through it and buy a fuel carb cleaner from Napa? I would rather ride the bike down to have it checked and cleaned vs. hauling it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 PM

Yup I have the same problem with mine. After I have been ridding for about 30 + min I can finally turn the choke completely off. But if I shut the bike off I have to use full choke to restart it.

I just recently got this bike, it had also been sitting for a while like your wife's bike.

So far I am just dealing with it; I have not done any work on it (except trying to fix the stupid hole in the gas tank from the fairing bolt).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:53 AM

First try putting in some fresh fuel and see if the idle improves...

My experiences with 250's have been pretty consistent... They do not run well on old fuel... For whatever reason, these 250's are sensitive to the fuel's freshness more so then many other carbed vehicles...

I've had to drain out fuel that was seemingly not that old (2 months or so) but the idle goes to Sh*# or it stalls out randomly... Also when I put in the fresh fuel I add some STP fuel system treatment...

As a general rule of thumb, do yourself a favor and either put a fuel stabilizer in the tank prior to storing or run the fuel out of it to prevent these issues...

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakdawg View Post

My experiences with 250's have been pretty consistent... They do not run well on old fuel... For whatever reason, these 250's are sensitive to the fuel's freshness more so then many other carbed vehicles...

I've had to drain out fuel that was seemingly not that old (2 months or so) but the idle goes to Sh*# or it stalls out randomly... Also when I put in the fresh fuel I add some STP fuel system treatment...

As a general rule of thumb, do yourself a favor and either put a fuel stabilizer in the tank prior to storing or run the fuel out of it to prevent these issues...
I agree with the above, as I just went through something similar.

I let the bike sit for a couple of months, with about half a fuel tank. When I got it running again, it would idle at odd rpms; sometimes it would almost stall, and after adjusting the idle with the knob, it would jump up to 3-4,000 rpms. I filled the tank, took it for a highway run (nothing fancy, about 20 miles) and when I got back I was finally able to adjust the idle properly.

You might just need to get some fresh fuel and do a run.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakdawg View Post

I agree with the above, as I just passed through something similar.

I let the bike sit for a couple of months, with about half a fuel tank. When I got it running again, it would idle at odd rpms; sometimes it would almost stall, and after adjusting the idle with the knob, it would jump up to 3-4,000 rpms. I filled the tank, took it for a highway run (nothing fancy, about 20 miles) and when I got back I was finally able to adjust the idle properly.

You might just need to get some fresh fuel and do a run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement