Rattle/Knock at low rpm when accellerating - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Rattle/Knock at low rpm when accellerating

I've been riding for just 9 months here and have a 2009 250r that's developed a knock or rattle... it happens at low RPM at low speed when accelerating... when the engine is under torque.

It seems to come from behind the lower left side panel toward the back of the bike... just in front of the rear wheel... near my left heel. I'm thinking it's either a problem with the sprocket or the tranny, but wanted to get some thoughts from some more experienced riders.

The engine runs and revs fine... it purrs in idle in neutral and revs up to 6k/7k in neutral without problem... nor does it have any trouble holding rpm in neutral.

What do you all think?

Don't Mount Up If You Don't Gear Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM

How many miles on the bike?
Do you maintenance the chain often?
Is your chain loose, dirty, rusty or have kinks in it?
Does it look something like this?

How to understand Motorcycle Chains, Wear and Maintenance...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Great questions! The bikes got 13k miles... it had a full maintenance when I got it with 9k... and an oil change done by me at 12k... seems to be holding oil fine.

I'm less dilligent about chain maintenance... it's been about a month and a half since I last cleaned, lubed and guaged the chain... admittedly, that's not good given the AZ weather encourages daily use... the chain has some play, but it's not sagging like in your pic.

Are you thinking i may have lost some tension... chain could be binding or skipping?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkwest250r View Post
...Are you thinking i may have lost some tension... chain could be binding or skipping?
That is usually the #1 reason for drive train noise. Chains sometimes don't wear evenly so you may want to check for kinks in the chain (tight in some spots, loose in others).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, D... nice project for the weekend!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Also, if you're not lubing it, you're bound to get some tight spots in the chain which will make "kinks" at lower rpm speeds.

If the chain hasn't been taken care of very well even by the PO, you may just want to go ahead and replace it. I just replaced mine at 18,000 miles and it's like I'm riding a new bike.

It's also suggested that you buy new sprockets for a new chain.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Tadster!

With 9 months behind me, I'm finding the 250R is very forgiving... a great starter bike from both a riding and maintenance perspective... gotta be more dilligent about my chain maintenance... especially given the riding conditions here in AZ... it's always dry and dusty!

I've got some light experience on the mechanicals... I change my own oil... and I had to replace bars and levers and the shift pedal... though I don't have a stand... could I do the chain and sprockets myself or is it the type of work a shop should do?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM

you can do it yourself. It's pretty easy actually. You're just going to need some kind of angle grinder or dremel tool to cut through the old chain.

The sprockets are both eays to replace. For the front, you'll need to remove the front sprocket cover to get it off (loosening bolts). To replace the rear sprocket, you'll need to take the back tire off.

It may sound difficult, but it's not as hard as it sounds. Although, a local shop could do the whole job for a decent price.

I just replaced it all myself and it only took about an hour and a half. Although, I've already taken off the rear wheel before and replaced my front sprocket, so I knew completely what I was doing. If it's all foreign to you and you don't have a rear stand, I would probably just buy the chain and sprockets and take it to a shop.

You'll need at least a rear stand to do it yourself though. I have an '07 and the 88-07's come equipped with a centerstand that lifts the rear wheel off the ground making the job a lot easier. If you can get a rearstand for pretty cheap, or borrow one from a friend, then attempt to do it youself. See if you can find a step-by-step guide online somewhere. Makes things so much easier.

Before you replace the chain, I would try cleaning it with kerosene, letting that dry, and then giving it a good lube. Do that twice within 1,000 miles and see if it is still stiff. If it is, then you just need a new chain. Proper chain maintenance extends the life of the chain tremendously, just as poor (or lack of) maintenance shorterns the lifespan of the chain considerably.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by tadster00; 04-12-2013 at 09:22 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Sounds like tadster hit it right on the spot. I had a tight spot and worn rollers on my original chain before I replaced it. It was bad. I tried to "free" up the kinks, but the chain was stretched and had damaged rollers.. Time for new chain. With a rear stand, replacing the chain is quite easy. You may need to borrow or buy a chain kit to remove and install. You can cut the chain, or pop out two pins to remove a link. A torque wrench is highly recommended for proper torque of rear axle nut (72ft/lbs if I'm not mistaken). Removing the countershaft sprocket is not necessary, but requires a torque of about 94ft/lbs if removed.

In this pic I ground down the end of two pins on a link so I can pop them thru with my tool. Once the chain is broken, it can be pulled thru no problem. Rear end on stand, gearbox in neutral. Remove shifter linkage via 10mm bolt, notice the mark on the shaft for install. Remove countershaft sprocket cover via (x3) 8mm bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.3 KB, 11 views)

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636
2001 Yamaha YZ426F dirtbike
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, folks!

I think I'll take tadster's advice and give it a thorough cleaning... with a critical eye checking it's condition. If I end up having to replace it and the sprockets, you all have given me the confidence... cautious confidence... to take it on... just got to make sure I get the right parts and tools... needing a stand and a torque wrench but may resort to a hack saw in place of a grinder/dremel to get through the chain... if it comes to that.

Again, thanks... you all rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement