suspension - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

suspension

So I went to my first track day at Streets of Willow today. (Thanks Freakdawg for the trailer). I've been getting some odd tire wear on the front. Dave with Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning was there and I had him check out my bike. Apparently the front suspension is too mushy. Since there is no adjustment he advises switching to a thicker fork oil. 15 weight. This he says will solve the tire wear problem and stiffen the front a bit.

Also my rear is too stiff for me. (I'm 125 lbs.) Since the bike comes set at the lowest setting he advises getting a new rear shock/spring deal which he said I could reference at kawiforums what exactly to get.

Hope this helps as I know of 1 other '08 250 with the same odd front tire wear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SubZero
Thanks for the report. How was your first track day!?!?!?!?!!??

Hhhhhhmmmmmm I am 136 pounds and I have not had any or noticed any unusual tire wear on the front and my suspension is set 100% stock still. What tires are you using?

Yes I'm a
08 Monster Energy (replica) 250R
WARNING! Psychological Nudity. Adult content. Viewer discretion is advised.
Be mischievous. It feels good.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I liked the track day. It got windy at the end of the day which bothered me a bit. Also another rider I went with took a spill which psyched me out a little at the end. They served free burgers! The control riders were cool and gave us some instruction and tips. I'll be tracking again.

(Tire response in other thread.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to SubZero
Sorry to reply here once again but it's not right to continue to hijack Malaqui's (sp?) thread.

So it sounds like you're still using the stock tires or street tires. That's part of the reason (I think) you're noticing the odd wear pattern. Of course it could also be the suspension and several other factors even going as far as to say the rider. Rider input has a lot to do with tire wear. But really it could also be as simple as using street tires on the track. Street tires do not heat up like a track tires would and depending on the track one side of the tire can get warmer then the other so it's going to wear unevenly. I'm sure you know all this but thought I should plant this little seed into whoever's brain that reads this that doesn't know it.

I am currently running the BT 090's on my bike and they wear just beautifully. Especially my front. My front is still "like new" even though it's been heat cycled several times. Actually both tires are in amazingly great shape for having six or so track days on them. So for the track I highly suggest using a full race spec tire if you're going to run street tires just be very cautious. They do not heat up as fast as a race compound and do not have the grip. So you can't run at 100% on them. I just repeated myself there a little bit but you'll get over it.

Also track /road condition itself can cause unusual tire wear. I know. Lots of different things to make you go "hhhhhmmmm. Why is it doing that". lol But that is the beauty of it all and the fun of learning.

Any way. Stick with your stock /street tires if you do not plan on riding the track more then once or twice in any given season. Just be mindful that the compounds are completely different, they don't heat fast, and you cannot go 100% on them and they'll be great tires for you.

Just my two cents.

Yes I'm a
08 Monster Energy (replica) 250R
WARNING! Psychological Nudity. Adult content. Viewer discretion is advised.
Be mischievous. It feels good.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 11:25 AM

Your welcome...

Who went down at the track...?

Odd tire ware can be caused by many factors ranging from tire pressure and design parameters to suspension set up... Since one of the short comings of the 250 be it old or new is the very limited suspension tuning options...

Dave Moss is the man as far as suspension tuning goes... I'd go with what he recommends... I might even try some of it as the front end of my 250 is too mushy for my liking...

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakdawg View Post

Who went down at the track...?
Alvin low-sided at the bowl. He's fine. Bike looks bad but is pretty much cosmetic.

Last edited by minichris; 11-01-2008 at 02:35 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 12:48 PM

Thats a pretty tough place to low side...

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

R6

I just got back from picking up my bike at TK's and I unloaded Alvins' bike as well. His 3 day old LeoVince can is destroyed, brake fluid reservoir disappeared, instrument cluster messed up. Other than that new plastics should take care of most of the damage. Bike starts up fine.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 PM

Sorry to hi-jack but I need to know about these track days I when I can bring my bike up there??

ew
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Here are a couple of organizations that come to mind -

trackdaz.com
fastrackriders.com
thetrackclub.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement