Throttle lag - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Throttle lag

Hi All,

I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for so I apologize in advance if this has already come up.

When all warmed up and running fine (for the most part) there seems to be a lag in the response to the throttle. I'll twist the grip, it'll hesitate for a second, and then take off as normal. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
~Sharkey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 PM

could be a few different things. How old is your bike and how many miles does it have?

Could be anything from your carbs to your valves, to your airbox or something as simple as the throttle cable

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I guess that WOULD help, huh?!?
It's a 2006 with about 6k miles. It sat for a while and I ran a ton of sea foam through the system which seemed to clear up all the stuff that goes with bad gas, but now I'm experiencing the lag I described. Haven't done the air filter yet but changed the plugs. Air filter the next move?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM

yeah you should go ahead and change the air filter. It's really easy to do and is encouraged to do right away if you buy a used bike. Here's a link showing you how to clean the current air filter, and the installation and removal are the same when installing a new one: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...r_filter(s)%3F

Valve adjustments should be done on EX250's about every 6,000 miles, so you're due for a valve adjustment. If you take it to a shop, you're gonna spend at least $300. Or you can do it yourself for about $4 and a couple hours

here's a link on how to adjust the valves
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...t_procedure%3F

The valve adjustment was the first major thing I did to my bike. I'm wasn't very mechanically sound at the time and found it relatively simple. The hardest part is just getting to the valves themselves.

If your bike sat for a while, and an '06 with just 6,000 miles sounds like it did, then the carbs are dirtier than anything seafoam can handle. Here is also a link to cleaning the carbs as well as other carb info (at least $150 at a shop): http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...n_the_carbs%3F

good luck! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM

To add on, if I were you, I would definitely do the air filter and test it out for 100 miles to see if the lag goes away

if it doesn't, get a valve adjustment done (in my opinion, this ought to fix it), and make sure you sync the carbs

Here's a post I made on syncing the carbs. It's incredibly easy! Pretty sure my eight year old niece could do it
https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1693

if all else fails, then you've done the routine maintenance for the mileage of your bike (also remember to change the oil and filter) and you can go ahead and get your carbs cleaned

Last edited by tadster00; 10-08-2012 at 05:08 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks so much, I really appreciate the help!

I was really kind of hoping I wasn't going to have to tear the carbs apart (not necessarily because I don't think I can, just have never done it before) so I'll definately try the air filter first. The carbs have never been synced (I don't think) nor have the valves been adjusted, so it sounds like I've now got a place to start.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, very cool.

Last edited by Sharkey; 10-09-2012 at 04:04 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 PM

So I am having similar symptoms. It's a 2012 250 with 350 miles. While in neutral, I try to whack the throttle quick, and it hesitates and dies. But if I smoothly roll on the throttle, it does just fine. I have only had it for a week and got it with 1 mile. Dirty carbs from sitting for a while at the dealer, or does the fact that it rained unexpectedly while I was at work have anything to do with it? This is the first time I have noticed it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 AM

that sounds to me like a cold engine

if that happens right when you turn it on, then it's completely normal

If you're stuck at a traffic light, after you've already been riding for a good ten minutes, put the bike in neutral and then roll quick on the throttle and see if it dies then. If the bike's cold, then that's pretty normal for the engine to die when the throttle is applied quickly

Rain wouldn't have anything to do with it

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Ok, it was a cool early morning after rain, and it had only been running for less than 5 minutes for warm up.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement