How your transmission works - video - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

How your transmission works - video

I bought a basket case Ninja 250 that had a bad transmission. It would only go between neutral and first gear. The dogs on second gear were damaged so it would not engage and prevented the transmission from progressing to the next gears. I put an entire new gear set in and while I had it a part my son helped me make a video of how a motorcycle transmission works. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm763...ature=youtu.be

I used to be a Triumph, Norton, BSA mechanic back in the day, that should date me pretty good. Yeah, I'm an old Fart, I've owned over 80 motorcycles, lost count. Most of the bikes I've owned were basket cases that I bought for cheap, fixed up and rode around until I sorted everything out on them, then sold them. Its good therapy for me, keeps me from killing kittens...

Last edited by ninjanick; 09-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the basket case 250 Ninja I bought last week, put together and got it running. It starts up and idles perfectly but when I get it to 4000rpm it bogs a little and sputters up to 10,000rpm. I am going to go through the carburetors again. I must've missed an adjustment in them. The guy I bought the bike from said he bought these carbs on Ebay so they were not the original carbs on the bike. The jets and bowls were clean. I believe the idle circuit is intact, could be needles or CV diaphragms or a vacuum leak at high rpm. I got my work cut out for me. Getting the carbs off with that stupid airbox is a hassle. I think I will put a set of K&Ns on there and get rid of the airbox. Just need to figure out where I will put the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement