Engine/carb problems......? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Engine/carb problems......?

Ok, so here's the deal. I bought a 02 ninja 250 w/ 10k miles on it. Fairings we're ok, and bike ran decent (for a few months). Started getting sluggish so decided to do a complete tear down of engine/carbs/fuel tank. Put new pistons/rings and gaskets in engine, rebuilt the carbs and had the tank bead blasted ( previous owner had downed the bike and "patched" some holes with jb weld and road marking paint) it was ugly and rough looking. I repaired all the holes with fiberglass and rattle can the tank matte black and threw a clearcoat on it. After putting everything back together and attempting to start it up is where I'm stuck at....... Engine turns over, it's getting fuel, and spark......it turns over until the battery is almost dead (I throw a jump-pack on it then). Well attempting to start it tonight and it turned over for a bit and then backfired (blew a 2' flame out the right side exhaust) then would just turn over after that.......any clues as to the next step on this? I'm about to the point of scrapping the whole bike and parting it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 PM

it sounds like the engine isn't burning all the fuel and sending some to the exhaust. Nothing to get super freaked out about, but I can understand if you are! haha. Just make absolutely sure that the carbs are synced and completely clean. Your idle jets may be clogged. Do you still have the stock exhausts? Whether you do or not, you may need to re-jet.

I'm no pro at how to do these things, but I do know that there's a solid chance that that's where your problem lies. Definitely don't sell it for parts if you planned on riding it, because this is fixable

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 AM

Are the valves adjusted and the timing correct?
What are your carb settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement