Issues after sitting for the winter? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Issues after sitting for the winter?

Just purchased a 09 ninja 250r, with 9000 km's on the dial.

When i purchased it today, the owner had it sitting for the winter and took it out about a month ago and rode it for a week. It hadnt been started since. After starting it in front of me for the first time, it started up just fine, but we left it to warm up for a good 10-15 minutes, 20 degrees celcius outside, and everytime we gave it gas it just shut off.

We added some new fresh gas, mind you there was fuel stabilizer in the gas already, and after high revs it seemed to have finally worked .

Now my questions are, is this a symptom of having clogged pilot jets? Maybe a carb cleaning? With 9000 km's and it hasn't had any sort of cleaning at all.

My next question is, when the bike has been sitting and i turn the the key and the ignition to on position, am i suppost to hear a sound of the injectors ? Because i dont, and if i try starting nothing happens, i actually have to turn the throttle a wee bit to get it started. Normal? .. .. Or is there a certain period of time the bike needs to be sitting for in order to hear the sound of the initial injector startup?

Thanks all, i appreciate the help!

Last edited by hamzawm; 04-15-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM

I think you could go ahead and get the carbs cleaned or do it yourself. It never hurts to clean them and would be a great experience for you.

I think it's normal to need some throttle to get it going when starting her up. I have to do that on my bike sometimes when it's been sitting for a few days even. Only when it's warm, or somewhat warm, will it start up without any throttle. So unless something's wrong with my bike, I'd think that was normal

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM

As far as i know The Canadian version Ninja 250 is carb'ed. There are no fuel injectors or pumps. The fuel system is a vacuum and gravity feed system, so you will hear no noise. You should be using the choke to help start the bike.

Even "Stablized" gas can go bad if it was not done properly, so there is still a chance certain jets can get clogged. At this point a physical cleaning is necessary if the choke is not working.

In your cause I would continue to treat the fuel system with some Seafoam or Startron Fuel Treatment. Add these to the current gas. Continue to ride the bike thru the full throttle range until all the gas current gas is run out. Hopefully the bike will run better afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys! what ive done this morning was pumped out the old gas, it was a full tank, so i pumped it out and filled with fresh gas. I also dumped half a bottle of seafoam mixed in to clean the carbs and jets.

it starts up fine now, with no bogging or anything, but with 9000 km's and never had a cleaning, im only going to assume the carbs are actually dirty.

How often should i seafoam ??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzawm View Post
...How often should i seafoam ??
As long as you keep fresh gas in it and ride it regularly you really don't need to use it often unless the bike is going to sit for more than 3 weeks or so without being used.
A good article to read. http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_a..._e10_list.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

thats great info !

Its running 10x smoother with the seafoam and shell v power . Loving it!

thanks again everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement