stumped on a no-start - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

stumped on a no-start

Hi, I promise I did a search here but I'm still not getting anywere.

2007 with about 24k, I bought it with pods on it and it would barely run. But it would start up and run, and I rode it.
Brought it home and immediately put a stock air box back on it and went through the carbs with my ultrasonic cleaner. Did a bench synch. Found the jets in stock condition, along with the exhaust.

When I put the carbs back on, I got no start. Starter motor turns strong. Somehow it was running with pods, but not after putting the stock air box and filter back on.

Then I tested for compression and got nothing whatsoever. I could see the needle bump on the tester, but not enough to accumulate any pressure.

I found the exhaust valves pretty close to spec, and the intake valves pretty darned tight. Adjusted those, still no start and no compression.

I've adjusted the idle mixture screws anywhere from three turns out, down to 2.25 turns. Plugs are coming out barely moist with fuel after an attempt, but not fuel-fouled or oil-fouled.

Here's what's so odd to me: When I tested for spark on the left, the bike actually did start up and run for a couple seconds on the RIGHT side cylinder. When I put the left side plug back in, no start. Plugs are the correct NGK brand, gapped to spec. And there was really good spark.

I can feel some pressure out the exhaust when the starter is spinning. I can neither feel nor hear any exhaust or intake air where there should not be anywhere in the system.

I'm not sure how the bike would start and run, however poorly, and then the next day have zero compression without having been revved at all, just a stock intake put back on.

Ideas? And if I'm missed a thread addressing this, please direct me there with my apologies. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Garage
Okay let's start with the basics, air, spark & fuel.

Sounds like you have air, can you smell gas at the mufflers?

Are you getting spark to both cylinders? Are both plugs wet with fuel?

Is the fuel flowing to the carburetors? Have you checked the petcock for proper operation? When you serviced the carburetors, did you verify the float height? And condition for the float valves?

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 02-01-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement