PODS! Oh the horror! - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

PODS! Oh the horror!

Picked up a '07 that won't run well, pods air filters installed by PO without rejetting.

I'll be installing a stock air box right away, and might as well toss the carbs into my ulstrasonic cleaner. I've rebuilt a lot of carbs and if these are unmolested, I'll have no problem getting them in good clean condition.

The rest of the bike looks good, except for one rear brake pad slipped out of the caliper.

It looks like a stock air box is quite affordable on Ebay. I assume the '07 and earlier have a different air box than the later 250's?

Bike won't run off of choke and revs very slowly in first or second gear, pretty much unrideable at road speeds.

I HATE pods and just want to put it back to stock. I can see that the head cover gasket has been replaced. I don't have a manual yet; do I need to be thinking in terms of valve adjust? It sounds pretty good in the top end even with the horrible fuel mixture settings.

Any tips or info appreciated, and thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Must I use an air box from an '07 or earlier?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 PM

Garage
Pod filter is not good for CV type carburetors, I would recommend finding the OEM airbox on eBay, and a K&N replacement air filter, or a UNI filter if the K&N is too expensive for you

From what you've described, your carburetors are in need of serious service, if the bike won't run with the choke when it warmed up, up pilot jets, and idle mixture circuit is clogged.

If your in need of carburetor refurbishing services, let me know.

Also I'd at least check the valves make sure they are within specifications, if not then adjust.

Valve adjustment is a key part of tuning and dialing in the bike.

Here's my write-up on the subject,

Quote:
I would highly recommend that you DO NOT REMOVE THE AIR BOX, the carburetors on the bike are CV type and need to box to function properly, buy a K&N that fits the OEM airbox(K&N KA-2508 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter by K&N Amazon.com: K&N KA-2508 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: K&N KA-2508 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive ) that's the short version.

Long boring but important answer, CV carbs stands for "constant velocity". The function of the carbs is dependent on having a calm reservoir (airbox) from which to intake air at said constant velocity. Pods draw from the turbulent, unpredictable air swirling past them as you ride, which is anything but constant. Other carbs work fine with pods. CV's = no bueno, save yourself the headaches.

Now onto jetting, first you need to tune the idle mixture screws first, I recommend 3 full turns out from bottom as a good starting point, then fine tune them afterwards. As far as buying a jet kit, I personally don't have one on either my 250, or 500 ninjas. I did got up one size on my main jets, due to they are lean from the factory, and shimmed the main needles with a small washer.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 09-01-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

As mentioned in the original post, I won't be keeping the pods and will be installing a stock air box. I know how bad pods are for modern motorcycles and I didn't install these pods.

Also mentioned that I have rebuilt numerous racks of carbs and will be breaking these apart and cleaning with the ultrasonic. I, too, refurbish carbs.

My question was mostly which years of air box I can use as I shop for one on Ebay. And someone's done the valves before, I will do them again. I can hear that they need it.
Is there a link here with instructions and clearances?

Many thanks!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:13 AM

Garage
Okay, good to know I'm dealing with a noob, any airbox from 88-07 will fit and be fine.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

88-07, got it. Thanks!!!

I hope I can find one with the lid and the boots intact. Maybe I can find one with a K and N in it...

Now I'm searching for instructions on the valve adjust. The bike is seriously in great shape otherwise: new tires, new chain and sprockets, fork seals good, new brake pads, intact wiring harness, minimal plastics damage.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Is this one complete? Is it missing anything I need to install it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2007-EX...7155d4&vxp=mtr
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Garage
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_..._the_valves%3F

Good find, and excellent price.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Garage
Before you put the airbox in, I strongly suggest you do the airbox modification, it will help in the future, trust me.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Battery...r_carb_removal

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Wow, cool!!

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement