loss of electrical power after hitting the starter button - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

loss of electrical power after hitting the starter button

So this will probably end of in a large wall of text so please bear with me. About a month ago I got my 2009 Ninja 250R out from storage and brought it down to my university which is about a 3 hour ride. Everything went fine and she started right up after I got her out of storage. Well that following Monday I rode it to a couple classes, but after one of my classes I come out to leave and turn the key on and go to hit the starter and instantly hear a click and the dash goes dark. This click seams to have come from somewhere under the seat presumably the battery/fuses. I had to get across campus quick so I just decide to leave it in the parking lot and walk. Later that afternoon I go to take a look at the bike with my roommate. Still has no power when I turn the key on so we get it push started and it comes to an idle. Any throttle input seemed to bog down the engine and the dash lights were very dim and the tach was not even working. My guess is the battery is dead at this point. We push it back into the parking lot and check fuses and take the battery out and go get it tested at Advanced Auto Parts and everything comes back fine and no fuses that we checked were blown. Mind you this is the original battery as far as I know. I've had the bike for a little over a year and a half and it has 6500 miles on it. So we get back and put the battery in and i turn the key and the lights pop on and she starts right up no problem. I ride it back to the apartment and parked it. I continued to ride it for a couple weeks with no problem and this brings us to a couple days ago. It had just sprinkled that morning and I go to start it up while the bike was still a little wet everywhere. Same click instantly after hitting the starter button and the lights go out but then the lights popped back on in a couple seconds. I hit the starter again and it clicks and lights go out. wait a second or two and the lights come back on. I hit the starter again trying to find where it is clicking and the engine starts and I have been riding it for the past two days with no problems now. I have double checked the battery terminal connections for tightness and there is no corrosion. I have checked a couple grounds under the seat which were fine. So I am thinking something might be getting wet and shorting out or something but I have no idea and I dont know where to check. This is the first time I have had to troubleshoot an electrical problem so I do not know much about this. Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any more info too. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 06:38 PM

There are a few things that could possibly be wrong. The Troubleshooting Guide can help you isolate the problem.

Hint; If you've never put the battery on a battery tender, it may be on it's way out.

A properly maintained battery can last for years. I have a 2009 with the OEM battery that's still strong.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

I've kept it on a battery tender indoors during both winters I've had it. I'm thinking it is a wiring problem such as a ground shorting out but just don't know where to start. And I have no idea if these thoughts make sense regarding how wiring and grounds all work. I'm studying mechanical engineering, not electrical lol. And also I'm in the middle of the semester at college so time is always an issue. If it stays like it is I'll just keep riding it until the summer when I have some more free time to tear into things. Thinking about it has been bugging me though because I just don't have a clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Also it might be worth mentioning that the only electrical modification that I have made so far is a fender eliminator with led plate lamps that I had to splice into the oem plate lamp wires to wire them up. The plate lamps are working fine like they always have been whenever I have checked them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:12 PM

did you fix it, i have the exact same problem. I did go to a mechanic and asked and they suggested it can be the battery terminals, but what's your solution(if any).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement