Please help troubleshoot 04 ex250! - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Please help troubleshoot 04 ex250!

Hi guys! so here's the deal. My bike started acting up and won't start anymore. At first, I could jump it w a small car battery or push start it very easily. Then it got really difficult to push start it and now nada! I changed the battery and checked all the fuses including the solenoid starter fuse. I'm suspecting a bad starter but figured you guys could shed some light on the situation before I spend money on the wrong part.
Here are two things I noticed that were off about my bike when I inspected it today. First, the coolant reservoir was close to bone dry, I could see a little coolant in the hose at bottom of tank. I filled it up. Second, I noticed two cables/wires that weren't connected to anything. (see pic). Could either of these two things have to do with the bike not starting and what else can I trouble shoot? Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0082b.jpg (125.1 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 PM

There are more than a few things that can be the problem. Battery and switches are the first thing to check.

Engine Doesn’t Start, Starting Difficulty:
Starter motor not rotating:

Starter lockout switch or neutral switch trouble
Starter motor trouble
Battery voltage low
Starter relays not contacting or operating
Starter button not contacting
Wiring open or shorted
Ignition switch trouble
Engine stop switch trouble
Main fuse blown

There also should be some coolant in the reservoir. Check the coolant in the radiator as well.

Have a look at the Troubleshooting Guide and Owner's Manual to help diagnose and fix basic maintenance problems.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 PM

Those two wires are accessory wires. They're "always hot" and you can connect anything powered by 12V to it. One wire is ground and one is power. I have a 12V power outlet on my bike using those wires that I use mostly when I travel. There is also another set right behind the fuse box on the right side of your bike. (The fuse box is below the seat, on the right side, almost directly above the foot peg once you take the side faring off).

As far as the coolant goes, this bike does not automatically eliminate excess air like a car/truck will. You'll need to look into how to "burp" your coolant since you topped it off. It's actually very simple.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok. Thank you for the feedback. I'll look into all that.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

So today, I bypassed the starter relay to test the starter motor. Please correct me if I did something wrong.
I connected the - to the engine and the + to the starter bolt and tried starting the bike. I got the click clack from the solenoid but no crank from the starter so I'm assuming it's fried. Am I correct?
Also, I read somewhere that to remove the starter motor, the following needs to be done. Is this correct? it sounds very time consuming.
-Drain engine oil
-drain coolant
-remove water pipe bolts and take pipes off water pump
-remove shift lever and remove engine sprocket cover
-remove alternator cover and starter idler gear with shaft
-disconnect the starter motor lead from the motor
-remove starter motor bolts and pull starter motor to the right
-make sure to lube the o-ring on the new one
Thank you for your time.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propilot View Post
Also, I read somewhere that to remove the starter motor, the following needs to be done. Is this correct? it sounds very time consuming.
Did your starter make any noise at all? Even a bad starter will make an odd sound when current is applied to it.

I've seen issues where the ground wire was internally corroded enough or broken to cause similar symptoms like you are having. What do your stater cables look like?

Yes, the replacement of the starter requires a bit of work. having a copy of the service manual comes in real handy if you can't afford to have a shop do it for you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Did your starter make any noise at all? Even a bad starter will make an odd sound when current is applied to it.
No. It didn't make any noise at all. The cable that leads to starter looks like it's in very good condition. I didn't check the ground. I will do that that today and let you know. Thanks for the feedback!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
So, I did the test again and still no hum coming from the starter motor but I got spark from the jumper cable when connecting it. I checked my grounds and they were in good shape. I wire brushed them all just in case.

Where exactly is the ground to the starter motor? Is it the one that's a few inches to the left of where the + connects to the starter motor?

Also, I disconnected the neutral switch to clean it out and now can't reconnect it and my tools are too thick to fit the sprocket cover Is there a trick to reconnecting it w/o taking cover off? And would the bike still start if I depress the clutch lever? Thanks for all your help and advice!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

OK, neutral switch back in.

Could a jammed/broken starter stop the stator from spinning? And vice versa, could a jammed/broken stator stop the starter from spinning?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement