95 ninja 250 not running - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

95 ninja 250 not running

ok first a little background info, I am a 19 year old college student with quite a bit of mechanical experience although I am fairly new to motorcycles. I recently purchased a non running 1995 ninja 250 for cheep to see if I could get it running. it only has 10,xxx miles.
before buying I sprayed gas into the air intake and the bike did fire but died a few seconds later.

the first thing I did when i got it home was to take the carbs off and do a full cleaning and bench sync. after I was done they looked almost perfect.
I put the carbs back on hooked everything back up and tried to start it. eventually I got it to idle with full choke but the second i touched the throttle even a little the bike would instantly die. there was also quite a bit of oil seeping out from the valve cover gasket. i thought this was odd so I took it back into the garage and pulled the cover off.

now it gets interesting. what I found was 2 missing rocker arms (exhaust side). I found them, unbroken in a corner, what caused this is who ever was in the engine before me did not torque down the things that hold that cam shaft down giving the shaft just enough room to come up and let the rocker arms fall out.

I'm not even sure how the engine was running at all but i put the arms back in and checked the valve clearance. they were just a tiny bit loose but ide rather they be loose then tight, I also checked the timing the best I could and it looked fine.

I put everything back together and tried to start it and it again idled, it sounded a little better this time and for a little while it would take the throttle about 1/4 of the way before bogging down. soon after though it started to die again and never ran with the coke on anything but full.
the idle was also very inconsistent going from 2k all the way to 6k even after i backed the idle adjustment screw all the way out.
this sounded like it was very lean for some reason but when I pulled the spark plugs (new) they were fairly black and a little wet, and right before I left I had the plugs out and turned It over for no reason really, and gas shot out of the left spark plug hole.

this is where I am right now, I really have no clue where to go from here.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 07:42 PM

Firstly, sounds like a miracle that it actually starts and runs! I would start with the idle adjustment. It should be somewhere between 1.5 to 3 turns out from ground zero. Are all the carbs passageways really clean? Are the valve clearances to spec? There are a ton of variables here! Fresh gas and fresh plugs are a good start too.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok to start it does have fresh gas and new plugs, the carbs are pretty much spotless , the valves are all just barely on the loose side.

I have also messed with the idle screw as well as the mixture screws. even with the idle screw all the way out so it is not affecting the butterfly valves the bike will still idle at around 4k to 6k. changing the mixture screws from 1.5-5 turns out also made no difference although when I adjust the idle screw to raise the idle it does raise ive had it as high as 8k on idle but the second I touch the throttle or take it off choke it dies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 12:29 AM

Garage
You need to go back and do a through and meticulous cleaning of the carbs, did you remove both sets of jets? Did you verify all and ever passages were in fact clear? Float heights set correctly? Did you assembly the carburetors correctly and all the parts were installed? Set the idle mixture screws to 3 turns from bottom.

Have you done any other modifications? are you hooking everything back up correctly?vacuum lines? Air box?

And what is your previous experience with carbs?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 AM

You HAVE to have the air air box on just as you would if you were going to be ridin. The little motor doesn't like all that air it has to have some restriction. The only way you can run it with out the stock air box is to change the jets and use filter pods. Also check for water in the system. If you reference "Another won't start" There s alot of very usefull info there. That was my problem.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

yes the carbs were taken down completely and cleaned very well at least 3 times, I have quite a bit of experience with carbs. everything is back where it should be based on the service manual. everything is completely stock and the carbs were hooked up to the air box when the problems were occurring
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

the gas shooting out of the spark plug hole leads me to believe that my floats are not adjusted right and its flooding the engine. but wouldn't this lead to lower rpm rather then higher.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 12:20 PM

While your checking your float height I would also check your fuel valve inlet needles. The pin on the end needs to spring in and out and not be sticky. If they stick it can lead to flooding issues etc.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

sadly it will be a week or 2 before i can work on it again so in the mean time we might as well brain storm so does anyone have another ideas of things to check or narrow down the problem, or more likely, problems.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

so i checked compression today and it was 150 left and 160 right so that rules out a few things. with that, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement