Gear shifting - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Gear shifting

Hey guys, simple question here and hope someone has an answer….

on my 09 250r… while running at say 55 mph and decide i want 2 come 2 a stop i would normally hit the clutch, hit the brakes till i came to a stop.. then once stopped i would proceed to gear shift down to 1st gear… But that is the problem i am having… The tranny is not allowing me to downshift more than one gear unless i actually get into that gear 1st…
So say i am cruising in 5th gear and i want to downshift to say 2nd gear, it will not let me just drop directly to 2nd gear, i have to actually go to 4th gear, then clutch into that gear, then downshift into 3rd gear, get clutch into that gear, then downshift into 2nd gear…
Here is my question… WHY do i have to actually get into that gear b4 it will let me drop to the next lower gear..??
Most people i have spoken with say that their bikes will allow them to shift to any gear they want at any time… Mine will not let me do so...

2009 Cobalt Blue Ninja 250R ~1k miles
PLM CF Full system exhaust, K&N direct pod filter, re-jetted carbs & full dyno tune. 32 whp & 15 ft lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Motorcycle transmissions are sequential and will need to be moving or at least rocked back and forth to drop down from 5th or 6th gear down to 2nd or 1st gear.

I would suggest down shifting as you are coming to a stop so that the internals of the transmission are still in rotation. You should be able to ratchet down through the gears while you are still in motion.
As you are coming to a stop pull in the clutch and hold it while bumping down through the gears to 2nd or neutral depending on the situation.

Come and play.. Come and play...
Forget about the movement...!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakdawg View Post
I would suggest down shifting as you are coming to a stop so that the internals of the transmission are still in rotation. You should be able to ratchet down through the gears while you are still in motion. As you are coming to a stop pull in the clutch and hold it while bumping down through the gears to 2nd or neutral depending on the situation.
this is why i posted cause it is not allowing me to do anything you just said which is what my original post was about :-)

2009 Cobalt Blue Ninja 250R ~1k miles
PLM CF Full system exhaust, K&N direct pod filter, re-jetted carbs & full dyno tune. 32 whp & 15 ft lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 AM

Let me see if I can explain, please excuse if I sound too simple. Unlike a car transmission that will allow you to shift the transmission to any gear you wish, a motorcycle transmission must click/shift thru each gear 1-N-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-N-1 one at a time. To go from 5th to 2nd, you must click the shifter 3 times. The bike must be rolling/moving to shift up or down.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allants View Post
a motorcycle transmission must click/shift thru each gear 1-N-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-N-1 one at a time. To go from 5th to 2nd, you must click the shifter 3 times. The bike must be rolling/moving to shift up or down.
here is what i have noticed… While cruising at 45 mph in 5th gear… I clutch and hit both brakes and come to a dead stop……. In theory i should be able to hit the gear shifter DOWN 4 times to get to 1st gear while at a stand still, unfortunately it will NOT let me do so..!!!
If i do not downshift thru the gears while I'm slowing down… i screwed when i come to a stop and i have to BOG the hell out of that motor to get moving again

Last edited by rn250r; 02-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakdawg View Post
Motorcycle transmissions are sequential and will need to be moving or at least rocked back and forth to drop down from 5th or 6th gear down to 2nd or 1st gear.
so what you and the other guy are saying is that the bike has to be MOVING in order for me to shift thru the gears at will..??? If so, then its not working for me, been there, tried that… it only shifts one gear at a time and i MUST engage into that gear b4 it lets me shift to the next….!!!
Quote:
I would suggest down shifting as you are coming to a stop so that the internals of the transmission are still in rotation.
That works just fine..!!
Quote:
You should be able to ratchet down through the gears while you are still in motion.
thats what everyone says but its not letting me do that.. LOL
Quote:
As you are coming to a stop pull in the clutch and hold it while bumping down through the gears to 2nd or neutral depending on the situation.
sorry, its not letting me…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement