Another wont start - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Another wont start

Ok my buddy's 03 250 was running fine but over a few weeks it got harder to start. Now this headache wont do nothing. We changed the plugs charged the battery. Got fuel got spark. This is his daily driver and doesn't even have a car. so I don't understand how it would get like this. If I have to remove the carbs, what is the easiest way to get 'em out. I pulled the air box last time and it was a royal pain. I'm hoping for an easy fix but not very optimistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Garage
Is it trying to start? Sputtering? Not cranking? Or anything else, the more you tell us, the better.

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Barely sputters turns over fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Garage
How do you know you have spark? Fuel? Is there a fuel filter? How many miles? Any maintenance, or modifications done?

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

I pulled the plugs and grounded both of them on the motor and hit the starter and got spark. You can smell the gas and I pulled the line off the petcock and cranked it and gas came out of the line. I know it takes a little vaccum to open the diaphragm. No mods its bone stock with 18k and just regular oil changes and cleaning the little foam filter.

Last edited by gblank1968; 10-12-2014 at 05:02 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:22 PM

Garage
Have you tried using the choke to help start it? Does it have a fuel filter? You can test the vacuum petcock by simply just sucking on the vacuum hose and see the how much flows out. Check all lines for small cracks etc..... It doesn't take too much to upset the little motor.

How do the plugs look? Have you cleaned the spark plug caps and redo the ignition wire ends?

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

It will only sputter a little with the choke on turn it off give it some throttle it starts then I use the the choke to idle up for a minute or two the turn it off and it idles fine. But this is only on the service stand if its on the normal kick stand you can forget it will fire but wont rev. Plugs are brand new. I got spark. I think maybe the floats are sticking because of the upright versus leaning over condition. Like I said in the original post what's the easiest way to get the carbs off the air box itself is a bear.

Last edited by gblank1968; 10-12-2014 at 05:45 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 06:04 PM

Garage
I wish there was an easy way to get them off, but no luck, I would recommend a thorough and meticulous cleaning the carburetors. I would also suggest doing the air box modification, install a fuel filter and clean the spark plug caps and redo the ignition wire ends.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Garage
If you do end up pulling the carburetors I would remove the idle mixture caps( http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removin...re_screw_plugs) and adjust them to 3 turns out( http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...dle_mixture%3F).

Have the valves been adjusted? If not, you need to start with the valves adjusted properly, in order to make the tuning and diagnosis easier.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

what kind of airbox mod are you talking about? will that make it run better? Yeah a carb cleaning is probably the problem I shined a light in the tank when I put some seafoam in and there was all kinds of brown rust flakes in the bottom so thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement