Just bought a Ninja 250r, won't start. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
ty_

Just bought a Ninja 250r, won't start.

The seller was able to start the bike and ride it before I paid. Once I got it home, we were loading it off the truck, and dropped the front tire half a foot onto the ground, but the suspension seemed to take care of it.

Tried to start up. Caught for a second and then shut off when I let off the gas. Now it won't catch at all. Whenever I hit the ignition all I get is clicking from the fuse box. The battery is brand new and fully charged.

After researching here there are two problems I think may be responsible:

1) A starter issue. I've tried tapping on the starter to get rid of any buildup stopping the brushes from spinning, but it hasn't helped.

2) The gas line seems to have brown particles floating around in it. Could this be clogging up the gas line and not giving the bike enough fuel to start? If so, should I just drain the tank and see if I can find the source of the particles?

I really do appreciate all the help I can get. Not the experience I wanted for my first bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 09:05 AM

The battery is under the riders seat. Do you have access to a volt meter? How many volts does your battery have? I would try and jump start it with a booster pack first. Never hurts to remove +/- wires and brush the posts and wires with a metal brush. Is it a maintenance free battery? Or is it one of the ones where you can add distilled water and charge? If it is then I would check the fluid levels and make sure they are topped up. This really sucks especially after just buying it. What year is it? Then check fuses.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
ty_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleSE View Post
The battery is under the riders seat. Do you have access to a volt meter? How many volts does your battery have? I would try and jump start it with a booster pack first. Never hurts to remove +/- wires and brush the posts and wires with a metal brush. Is it a maintenance free battery? Or is it one of the ones where you can add distilled water and charge? If it is then I would check the fluid levels and make sure they are topped up. This really sucks especially after just buying it. What year is it? Then check fuses.
The battery is brand new and fully charged. I bought it last night and charged it here so it should be fine. I also changed the fuse even though it was fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Usually clicking indicates an ignition/electrical problem. Next logical step would be to check all grounds to make sure they are making good contact. Almost sounds like you may have jarred something loose while unloading? Money would be well spent on buying a clymer manual. They can lead you through a bunch of tests to isolate the problem with a multi-meter. I would do this before I start throwing parts at it! If the gas I has been sitting for more than 6 months I would change that too.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 12:42 PM

Garage
Check the starter solenoid, it's easy and free to check, just take a screwdriver and touch both the poles on the top, if bike cranks, bad solenoid, if not start checking grounds, wiring, starter switch might need to be cleaned, use contact cleaner. check ALL connections!!!!

A.T.G.A.T.T so I may ride another day. www.rockthegear.org

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.

Last edited by Ghostt; 08-17-2014 at 12:43 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
ty_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Check the starter solenoid, it's easy and free to check, just take a screwdriver and touch both the poles on the top, if bike cranks, bad solenoid, if not start checking grounds, wiring, starter switch might need to be cleaned, use contact cleaner. check ALL connections!!!!
Definitely not the solenoid. I replaced the fuse just for good measure. I think I'll check grounds next, as that might explain why I can sometimes start the bike and sometimes not, maybe a ground is a bit loose and only sometimes touching. I'll just have to research where to find those. Starter switch seems to be fine but I'll check just in case. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_ View Post
Definitely not the solenoid. I replaced the fuse just for good measure. I think I'll check grounds next, as that might explain why I can sometimes start the bike and sometimes not, maybe a ground is a bit loose and only sometimes touching. I'll just have to research where to find those. Starter switch seems to be fine but I'll check just in case. Thanks for the suggestions.
Did you test it? Don't rule out anything til you meticulously check it. Many a problem has been over look due to assumptions.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
ty_

I did test the solenoid like you said and it didn't crank. Wouldn't the fact that the solenoid is clicking rule out the ignition switch?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 PM

Garage
Yes, that method of going across the poles bypasses most everything, now move on to the wiring and freshen up all major connections, battery leads, solenoid, starter, etc.... and don't forget the neative/ground wires, start at the battery and just make sure that ground is good, that's the major one as far as starting goes, then just look around for the others, they are easy to spot, if I remember correctly the color code should be black with a yellow stripe depending on the year of your bike, also might as well have the battery checked, places like Advanced Auto, AutoZone, NAPA will check batteries for free, with a load tester, while it may be a new battery I have gotten new bad ones in the past.

This might sound like a lot but it's just time well spent so you don't just start wasting your hard earned money on things you my not even need.

ZX-2R Photo gallery

Last edited by Ghostt; 08-17-2014 at 07:48 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_ View Post
The seller was able to start the bike and ride it before I paid. Once I got it home, we were loading it off the truck, and dropped the front tire half a foot onto the ground, but the suspension seemed to take care of it.

Tried to start up. Caught for a second and then shut off when I let off the gas. Now it won't catch at all. Whenever I hit the ignition all I get is clicking from the fuse box. The battery is brand new and fully charged.

After researching here there are two problems I think may be responsible:

1) A starter issue. I've tried tapping on the starter to get rid of any buildup stopping the brushes from spinning, but it hasn't helped.

2) The gas line seems to have brown particles floating around in it. Could this be clogging up the gas line and not giving the bike enough fuel to start? If so, should I just drain the tank and see if I can find the source of the particles?

I really do appreciate all the help I can get. Not the experience I wanted for my first bike.

OK so you probably have already found the problem. Here is just something to try. A few weeks ago I was riding my Ninja and I hit a pot hole and she shut down. I thought it ran out of gas or something. It would never start and when it did, it would just die again shortly.

What I found is this wiring harness behind the battery was coming loose and the bike wasn't getting a spark when it was unplugged or anything. The picture is from google but thats the location of the harness. You need to remove the battery cover thing. Its like a huge square harness. Just unplug it and plug it back in and see if she runs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2.jpg (97.8 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement