not idling correctly. - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

not idling correctly.

Let me first say that it has been quite a while since i was on here. Had forgot my password.

OK getting to the issue. When i start my bike it cranks. However, it will not idol unless the choke is either half of fully pulled back. Any idea as to what is causing this to happen?

If it helps, I can hear some popping when i am riding which makes me think there is water in the tank. I have ran it completely out of gas and tried again with no luck. still the same thing.

could it possibly be the carb?

I will make a video and post it if needed.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 PM

Has the bike sat without running for a long period of time or has it sat in the rain recently?
Why would you suspect water in the tank?
Aftermarket exhausts make popping noises. Is this a recent occurance?
Have you tried adjusting the idle speed after the bike is fully warmed with the choke off?
Have you looked at the air filter or snorkel for dirt or obstructions?
Have any other mods on the bike?
When was your last valve adjustment?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Has the bike sat without running for a long period of time or has it sat in the rain recently?
Why would you suspect water in the tank?
Aftermarket exhausts make popping noises. Is this a recent occurance?
Have you tried adjusting the idle speed after the bike is fully warmed with the choke off?
Have you looked at the air filter or snorkel for dirt or obstructions?
Have any other mods on the bike?
When was your last valve adjustment?

Thanks for replying.

The bike did sit up for a long period of time during the winter.

everything on it is all factory no mods at all.

and i was considering idle speed, however i have no idea as to where to begin looking into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin LaGrange View Post
.....The bike did sit up for a long period of time during the winter.
If the bike sat for longer than a couple of months without the fuel being stabilized/treated, you probably have some clogged pilot/idle jets.

Normally the fix for this is removal and manual cleaning of the carbs (specifically the pilot jets).

Depending on how bad the pilot or main jets are clogged, there are a few thing you can do before digging into the carbs. First do the simple stuff, change the oil & filter, clean the air filter and change the spark plugs if you have not already done so (Iridium plugs recommended). Also fresh fuel, 87 octane ethanol free. (if you can get it)

Get some Star Tron Fuel Treatment and add it to your fuel. You want to get the treated fuel into the carbs by trying to run it with the choke on and using small throttle input as the engine warms. Let the engine sit a day or 2 to allow the fuel treatment to work a little. Then attempt to re-start. The engine will probably not run 100% percent immediately and will need some time to kind of "knock off the rust" before it gets going again. If there is no improvement and it will not run without the choke, a manual carb cleaning is necessary.

You should be able to find plenty of info on the forum or the internet on how to clean the carbs and adjust the idle speed. If you are not able to do it yourself a shop will do it for you.

Last edited by DaBlue1; 05-19-2014 at 04:54 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
If the bike sat for longer than a couple of months without the fuel being stabilized/treated, you probably have some clogged pilot/idle jets.

Normally the fix for this is removal and manual cleaning of the carbs (specifically the pilot jets).

Depending on how bad the pilot or main jets are clogged, there are a few thing you can do before digging into the carbs. First do the simple stuff, change the oil & filter, clean the air filter and change the spark plugs if you have not already done so (Iridium plugs recommended). Also fresh fuel, 87 octane ethanol free. (if you can get it)

Get some Star Tron Fuel Treatment and add it to your fuel. You want to get the treated fuel into the carbs by trying to run it with the choke on and using small throttle input as the engine warms. Let the engine sit a day or 2 to allow the fuel treatment to work a little. Then attempt to re-start. The engine will probably not run 100% percent immediately and will need some time to kind of "knock off the rust" before it gets going again. If there is no improvement and it will not run without the choke, a manual carb cleaning is necessary.

You should be able to find plenty of info on the forum or the internet on how to clean the carbs and adjust the idle speed. If you are not able to do it yourself a shop will do it for you.
Dude thank you so much! i will start tomorrow!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 AM

I had pretty much the same problem as you described. Just like DaBlue1 said I tried all the remedies and the final solution was a manual carb clean! Also installed a dynojet jet kit at this time.

Last edited by TurtleSE; 05-20-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement