Rear axle bolt 'rattle' on potholes - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Rear axle bolt 'rattle' on potholes

Hey guys. Been searching around on the internet and this forum for an answer and can't seem to find anyone with the same issue.

I just finished putting on new tires, sprockets, chain, and shimmed the cush drive. I put the wheel back on the axle (with the spacers correctly oriented), got the alignment straight, proper chain slack (it's at the tighter end of the specs), torqued the axle nut to 110Nm and installed a new hitch pin, and torqued the torque link nuts to 32Nm. Everything seems super solid on the swing arm.

The problem is that now whenever I go over a large pothole or sudden drop in the road, it sounds like the rear axle bolt is rattling around or there is something loose on the rear axle. I'm not sure if this is exactly what is happening but that's what it sounds like is happening. It's really weird because whenever the bike is on its center stand, everything feels really solid. I had a I first noticed it going about 5mph over a decent size pothole kinda bump in the road. The bike seems to run great just cruising on a smooth road.

I had one of my friends ride it and he said he didn't notice anything wrong with it. Any ideas on what this problem could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 AM

Is the brake caliper in its groove?

sent from my fone.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Yeah the brake caliper is installed properly. I made sure the rear caliper went on the same way, was torqued down, and is working properly. I'm working on a 2001 Ninja 250 BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Hmmm, you said the chain was at the tighter end of specs. Maybe when hitting bumps/holes and causing the swingarm and chain to jolt/move you hear this rattle. I would slack the chain a bit, but keep it in specs and retest?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleSE View Post
Hmmm, you said the chain was at the tighter end of specs. Maybe when hitting bumps/holes and causing the swingarm and chain to jolt/move you hear this rattle. I would slack the chain a bit, but keep it in specs and retest?
Yeah my friend suggested this yesterday also. It's weird because it mainly sounds like it's coming from the rear right side of the axle bolt.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Is the hitch pin snug or is it causing this noise? Is it hitting something when you go over bumps? Try duct taping it down temporarily or changing to a cotter pin.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is the hitch pin snug or is it causing this noise? Is it hitting something when you go over bumps? Try duct taping it down temporarily or changing to a cotter pin.
I just went out and tried that. Still no change. I also duct taped the crap out of the passenger pegs because the pins have a good amount of play on both sides and I thought that was it. Still hearing it when going over bumps. Seriously sounds like the axle bolt hitting something and like I need to take the rear wheel off the axle again.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:44 AM

Grasping now but, did something like a bolt or rock get in your exhaust can?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Grasping now but, did something like a bolt or rock get in your exhaust can?
Nope. Just checked inside the cans. I know there's definitely nothing in there too because I just installed new two brothers slip ons.

I'm willing to check every possible option if anyone has any suggestions.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:38 PM

Either the center or side stand. Put bungees on them, see if it works. The centerstand should have a rubber bumper on it, it may be the thing hitting the swingarm. A weak spring may allow it to sag and move just enough when going over bumps

Last edited by DaBlue1; 05-07-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement