On the fence - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

On the fence

Hey Everyone,

So for the past year I've been thinking that I would like to get a motorcycle some day, probably when I graduate college in a few years. However the past month I've really been looking into it (pretty much obsessed) and I really want to buy one when I go back to school in September.

I've never ridden one before, but the reason I'm so interested in them is mainly because I love to drive. A few days a week I'll go out and find some curvy roads and just drive for an hour. However the gas bills can really get expensive and I'm putting way too many unnecessary miles on my car. But I think, if I have this much fun driving a 00' toyota avalon(which is a big car, and I hate the handling) I'm going to love driving a motorcycle, and I'll save a ton on my gas bill. The handling and maneuverability of motorcycles is very appealing to me, especially the ninja 250. And all the articles about driving defensively and situational awareness are things I could really relate to, but have never really found when reading about cars.

So I've been pretty sure that I'm going to go buy a ninja 250, however the think I'm most concerned about is safety. I wouldn't say I'm not a risk taker, but I'm definitely no daredevil. But I've read so many stories about people who made one small mistake on a bike, and have gotten seriously injured or died. I'm only 20, and I'm worried I could completely change my life around from some small mistake I made riding.

So what do you guys think? There's a lot of stories demonstrating the dangers and risks of motorcycles, and it's kinda scaring me away from them all together. I honestly think that if I do get one I'm gonna love riding it and I'll probably be fine, however there's the thought in the back of my head that I could be throwing my life away. I've been driving for 5 years and have never been in a single accident or gotten a ticket (although I do speed a lot). However a small fender bender accident in a car could potentially be a serious injury if I'm on a motorcycle.

So when you guys are riding a motorcycle how confident are you that you are not going to crash?

I'm sure I'll be fine, but I've gotten the impression that if I make any tiny mistake I'm gonna crash.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 AM

Why don't you take the MSF Beginner Riding Course first. They'll teach you the safety of riding and will provide you with a bike to learn on. It's around 200-250 for 2+ days of classroom and hands on training. This will give you the opportunity to ride a motorcycle and see if it's for you. I just finished mine about 10 days ago and I would say that was money well spent.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 12:42 PM

beginner

Hi possible new rider,
I would have to agree with SpdFrk. Take the riders course first! Be open
and take it all in! The instructors are there to help you in every way. And the 250 Ninja in this case is good bike to start out. Once you get the hang of riding safely, then a bigger bike will come into play. I know other riders will stick with there 250 Ninja's until they die! It's just a great investment and the gas mileage is great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM

The riders course is the number 1 best idea, but take it before you turn 21 so it's cheaper.

Also consider riding a small dirt bike first (before and/or after taking the riders course). That'll get you familiar with being on 2 wheels and the sequential shifting of a motorcycle, without the possible road rash. Don't get me wrong, you can still get hurt, but dirt doesn't hurt nearly as much as asphault.

If/when you get a street bike, get an older 250. If you should get spooked and drop it while stopped or whatever, it's a real heartbreaker if the bike is brand new.

When riding, comfort and confidence levels are different for everyone. You need to balance your confidence with respect for the bike and the road. Then sprinkle in the chance factor that is 'other people'. One quote that I've seen go into effect more times than I care to remember is: "If you ride like you own the road, one day the road will own you."

https://www.250r.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1217136591

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoe View Post
If/when you get a street bike, get an older 250. If you should get spooked and drop it while stopped or whatever, it's a real heartbreaker if the bike is brand new.
I'm not sure I agree with this. That'd be like only dating a non-virgin because you don't want to hurt her when you pop her cherry. I'm only kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMoe View Post
When riding, comfort and confidence levels are different for everyone. You need to balance your confidence with respect for the bike and the road. Then sprinkle in the chance factor that is 'other people'. One quote that I've seen go into effect more times than I care to remember is: "If you ride like you own the road, one day the road will own you."
I like that quote. Speaking of quotes, I was talking to my friend earlier today and was given what I think is a really good advice for beginners. That is to "respect the bike, but not so much that you are scared of it." I remember feeling really tense the first two days in the MSF Course. I was concentrating to much on remembering what to do. On the third day, I got comfortable with the bike and riding it was so much more fun, not to mention easier.

Last edited by SpdFrk; 07-26-2011 at 03:32 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdFrk View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. That'd be like only dating a non-virgin because you don't want to hurt her when you pop her cherry. I'm only kidding.
I look at it like giving a teenager who just got their license a new manual transmission car. New car is pricey. Teenager is inexperienced with driving (and driving stick). Chances of the car getting damaged somehow is pretty high.

I bought my 250 new and dropped it within the first month I had it because some douchebag in a bro-truck thought it'd be funny to honk his air horn at me as I turned into a parking lot. "Heartbreak" at the cracked blinker and scuff on the nice new fairing barely begins to describe how I felt. lol

https://www.250r.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1217136591

If you feel like you've outgrown your 250, you've probably outgrown your helmet too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement