is it worth this? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Question is it worth this?

hey guys, i'm sure there has been a post like this before me, but i could use a little help. i am gettin my first bike and i just wanna make sure i am not gettin screwed over on the price .

the bike is a used 2011 ninja 250r with 481 miles on it. the guy who is selling it is asking $3600 for it plus a helmet. i already have a helmet so i figured i could get $50-$75 outta that. the bike is in extremely good condition other than the front right blinker is out ( how much would that be to replace?) and a small scuff on the end of the handel bar from brushing a wall when putting it away. i drove it and everything seems fine, no rubber above the back tire from burnouts or anything major like that. like i said before i am a first time buyer, so i thought i should get a little imput from another rider or two.

pictures of it can be seen at New 2011 Kawasaki Ninja~Very Nice Bike~ $3700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:24 AM

another newbie here....not much forum activity I guess.

just bought a 2010 for my college son with 1100 miles. paid $3150.

so I think your price is a good one. from what I could tell by talking to the owner(seller) he got lots of email traffic but had trouble finding anyone with all the cash. everyone wanted to trade him something or wanted him to finance it.

hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith5523 View Post
another newbie here....not much forum activity I guess.

just bought a 2010 for my college son with 1100 miles. paid $3150.
That's the first thing that came to my mind after a day of joining this forum. I thought it'd be much livelier.

I've been searching for a used bike for a while now and came to the conclusion that I could just get a brand new bike for not much more. It seems everyone want 3200-3700 for an 08-10 model. For about 1K more, if that, you can get a brand new bike. And you can get most of it back when you trade up. My main concern with buying used is that I don't know what, if anything, is wrong with it, whether it was dropped or crashed, ect. I figure if something snap on a car, you can just pull over to the side of the road. With a bike, it would be much more dangerous, especially for a beginner. More than anything, the 1K would buy me "peace of mind."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:57 AM

If you're going to go used, just be patient. Depending on where you live, the motorcycle "season" may be nearing an end with school and college starting back. And that could work for you, or against you. I searched Craigslist, and searched in 4 markets in two states. Wound up driving 100 miles to pick it up. But if you buy one still in factory warranty, then the warranty will go with the bike, not stay with the original owner.

I wouldn't worry as much about it being dropped because that's pretty easy to see. Lots of telltale signs that most won't try to hide. I've found most owners to be pretty honest about the stuff you could see. Now....how was it broken in, has the oil been changed? Those are tougher things to figure out.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement