If you want better overall drivibilty, without a lot of mods, shimming the needles (or installing aftermarket ones) and removing the snorkel works great.
These 10 improvements are easy to do, don't cost a lot and will make the bike respond and ride a little better.
1. Shim the needles with (2) two 3mm washers and remove the snorkel. Shims and a little bit more fuel to the 1/4-3/4 throttle range, a little more fuel results in better throttle response-(simple, don't complicate it)(If you have a slip on exhaust removal of the kleen air system is optional if you don't mind the popping.)
2. Replace the stock air filter with;
WIX- P/N: 49721
UNI Air Filter- P/N: NU-2303
Hurricane Racing Performance Air Filter for the í08-í12 Ninja 250
Pipercross Performance Air Filter- P/N: MXP166
4. Leave the airbox in. There is no real need to replace it with pod filters unless you like unnecessary work & spending more time tuning than riding. The exact same or similar results you get with pods you can get with the stock airbox and full exhaust system
3. Install Iridium Spark Plugs-either NGK Iridium CR8EIX
or The Denso Iridium IU24.
4. Run 87 octane gas
, it makes more power. Use ethanol free
if you can get it.
5. Run full synthetic oil
6. Change your sprocket set up to 15/43, it offers the best balance of acceleration and top speed. Any extra HP gains are wasted without the proper gear set up.
Those who ride freeway like to reduce the RPM speed as much as possible and still be able to have passing power in the top gear if need be. As a frequent Hwy rider I use 15/41 and still outpace most traffic easy.
15/41 @ 8k = 76.3 mph in 6th gear
15/42 @ 8k = 74.5 mph in 6th gear
15/43 @ 8k = 72.8 mph in 6th gear
15/44 @ 8k = 71.1 mph in 6th gear
15/45 @ 8k = 69.6 mph in 6th gear
7. If you got a couple hundred dollars, you can change your engine timing. the BRT i-DTIS
offers the second most significant gains to HP and torque as far as add ons go. The first is the full exhaust.
8. Also if you want a little better braking, stainless steel brake lines and sintered pads are recommended.
9. Better than stock tires will help improve handling of the bike.
10. Learn to ride better, twist the throttle a little more on take off.