Help deciding!!!!! - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help deciding!!!!!

hey guys i just joined the forum...YAY!!!!.....I also have been looking and observing this site for months. I have ridin dirt bikes all my life....just like 80cc. and so i know how to work a clutch and i cant decide if i can and should go bigger with a 650r or zx6 type bike or start basic on 250r. I am 5'11'' and I am about 130pounds. thanks guys for the help and im sure i will have some great insite. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 AM

Hey, Zacharious:

Having no riding experience prior to taking my BRC 3 years ago, I opted for the 250R. Everything I read lead me to believe that the 250R would offer the best riding experience needed prior to jumping up to a bigger bike. I'm 5'10 and weigh 180lbs and the have no problems at all on the bike. It is very forgiving. I've made modifications to the bike that have enhanced its performance. I still enjoy the bike and will keep it when I upgrade to another bike.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks man i know im the 1billionth guy to worry about this but im happy u took the time to answer me . well i also would like to know if i should spend money on college courses and get a craigslist bike, or save up and buy a new one in cash. I am leaning towards the craigslist bike cuz i have found some nice bikes on there. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:31 AM

yea i completely agree with The Scotsman. And im in the same boat as you, except i havent driven a dirt bike. from what ive been doing for research the 250r is perfect for beginners. with a top speed of 110mph (theoretically) you will be able to go anywhere without any problem. and being that the bike is fairly nimble its going to be forgiving.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

yea well, say im on a highway and im tired of 2 trucks going slow and i wana get around em or maybe between em does the 250 have the power for that? ill tell u the model im looking for. i would like to have the new models the 2008+ but it looks like with college comin up craigslist can only offer me 1990s-2007 in my price range of 1000-2500. so i wana to know if i should just forget it and save for a 600/650r. or does it have that power to just kinda zip by them and get in front.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Zac I was just like you couldnt make up my mind at first but I looked at the mpg on all 250 and up I knew that I was going after a Ninja but witch one? Im 5'7" and around 145 lbs I did have a 1996 600 Ninja a long time ago and loved it but this time its all about the mpgs.I wanted to spend 2000-3000 I found a good bike a 250 09 with 10k miles for 2200 and a 08 with 1980 miles for 2995.00 at a dealer, after a long debate over this I bought the 08 because of the miles and its like new still.Now this bike is not 600 but it runs great they are very quick for a 250 and looks like a bigger bike you should see the looks when I tell pepole its a 250.

Im in it for the MPGs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

thanks buddy that helps do u think a bike is managable while in college? my parents are dead against bikes but i love them. i want one and i plan on it being my main transportation. my car will be parked just because i love bikes and thats what i wana drive to school and it gets better mpg

I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM

If you have the money spend I say yes.I ride mine to work almost every day I leave my houes at about 4:45-5:00am and work for about 4 or 5 hours and back home just to get ready to go to work again I work a split shift 6 days a week.I bought my bike as work transportation but I love it so much that I want to just get on it and ride some days.The wormest days that I rode it was the day I bought it,It was 47 the coldest day was 32 one day last week it hot 74 lol and now its raining so wet I get. lol

Im in it for the MPGs
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

ok kewl so it can be main transportation? thats great i was afriad it would be only a good day ride to work.....lol im excited to get one. now the fact of getting a 2007 or 2008. i like the 07s but the 08s are sweet lol, i also dont see a lot of the 08s in my price range. so it looks like im stuck with an 07. are they bigger in person? cuz with all the pics they look so small and such a skinny windscreen....a big question of mine is that if i am on the highway and i feel a lot of wind resistance and i wana tuck up and go, can i? will the 250 allow me to kinda lay down on it? i know it has an upright riding position but does it allow for the occasional tucking behind the windscreen?

I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 PM

I think the 07 and older have a higher set hight than the 08s and newer so it might fit you better for your size.On my 08 I can tuck and run easy they have handle bar risers on them and the 07 do not so I say you could tuck even easier.Its been real windy here in March and April so far I dont tuck unless its cold just to try to keep warm.

Im in it for the MPGs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement