Greetings all! Newbie looking for advice... - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Greetings all! Newbie looking for advice...

Greetings all. I'm 28, 5'5", 150lb, and looking to get my first sportbike. I don't have any prior riding experience. A buddy has a GSXR 600 and I'd like to think I would upgrade to one someday. I am currently enrolled in an MSF course which I plan to complete within the month.

I've done quite a bit of research and decided that a gixxer6 would be a little too motto for me to start off with and I've decided to take it slow, be humble, and master the basics first. I plan to buy new as I prefer the peace of mind that it offers and I'd prefer to finance rather than pay a big lump sum on a used bike. I plan on using this as my primary mode of transportation and will probably do quite a bit of freeway driving (at least 80%). I plan on keeping this bike for at least 3 years.

For my needs, much of the research seemed to point me towards a Ninja 250R or 650R/SV650SF. Could you guys advise me towards one or another?

My main concerns are:

Will the 250R be able to handle the freeways well? I typically do 75-80mph if traffic is moving fast, 70 if not.

Will I be satisfied riding the 250R for 3 years or will I outgrow that quickly? I'm concerned about not having the power to speed out of trouble when needed.

Will the 250R handle the occasional longer freeway trips (400 miles from Socal to the Bay Area)? Or will the 650R/SV650SF handle that better?

Will a 650R/SV650SF be a good beginner bike? Is it more forgiving than a gixxer6 to learn on?

Does the 650R/SV650SF handle wind better than the 250R or is it about the same?

While I was originally planning on going for a 250R, evaluating my needs of 3 years use and a lot of freeway riding has me now leaning towards a 650R/SV650SF. My main concern with the 650R/SV650SF is whether it is not a good beginner bike and more comparable in that respect to a gixxer6.

I appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM

I feel anyone can start on any bike as long as they dont go out of their comfort level. I have rode mine at speeds at those speeds the RPMs run high which probably isnt good on the bike but the 250 can handle it. If you feel the 250 wont have enough power for what your looking for than you probably will get bored with it i know the 250's aren't quick but they get me where i need to go and as for the fun factor it is so fun to ride and super nimble. all in all i think it a great bike ultimatly its a choice you will need to make

'09 Ninja 250R Special Edition
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM

There are advantages to starting with either bike. I am in my third year of riding and I bought the 250r because I had never ridden before. Its been a great bike and has been able to hold its own, no matter where I have gone with it. I will say though, sometimes is a little nerve racking riding it on the freeway. Its plenty capable of reaching freeway speeds but if there is a head wind that you are riding into, its tough. I would be riding with a WOT just to keep up with the traffic around me, and thats usually between 75-80 mph. But if you have a nice day and no strong winds to hold you back, its a good ride. Canyons and other roads, I have had no problems at all with the 250r. Its a great learning bike, but as mentioned before, a 650r could be as well. You would be making a good choice with either bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

Being able to get used bikes for a lot cheaper aside, if just considering dealerships, what do you think about $5k OTD for a new 2011 250R? Is that over or under typical market pricing?

Last edited by dave...; 06-14-2011 at 07:51 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 PM

I believe thats quite a bit more than what its worth. A brand new 250r should be 3900 MSRP. So if thats what a dealership is offering I would check out another one.

'09 Ninja 250
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to oblivion007
Yeah 5k is quite a bit, and remember that on Kawasakis website the MRSP is 3999-4299 I believe. But then dealerships add in the whole $400 shipping the bike to them, and other charges so ends up about 5k Out The Door.

Its what I paid at least. Maybe I overpaid..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:32 PM

I guess that sounds a bit right now that I think about it. I bought a brand new Special Edition '09 which was 500 dollars more. If I recall correctly it was about 5 G's out the door. So sorry about my previous statement Dave, it does look like you will pay between 4500 to 5000 for a new bike. But for a new bike that gets 61 MPG's and is just all around fun, I think its worth it.

'09 Ninja 250
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement