Too tall for a new 250R? - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Cool Too tall for a new 250R?

Hi all! This is my 1st post here. Spent about 5 hours last night here just reading stuff before I decided to register today and get serious.

I am not a new rider, but I do have a question about buying a 250R with my height. I've read the "Tool big for a 250?" thread found here -https://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=535 but I am not concerned about going 0-60 in 4 seconds and how my weight would affect the bike.

I'm concerned about the fit. I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs. My first (and only bike) I used to ride was a bone-stock 2002 Suzuki Bandit 600S. It had a nice big comfy seat, upright riding position, and plenty of oomph. I've ridden a few loaner SuperSport bikes (Suzuki GSX-R 750 and Buell Firebolt XB12R) and I'm just not feeling the need... the need for speed. I'm looking for a commuter bike and a cheaper "toy" to make me feel like the 60 hours a week I'm putting in at work allows me to enjoy myself once in a while.

I love everything about the 250R... the looks, the price, the 20+ years of positive reviews, etc. I just have 2 questions:

1) Do any tall people out there have issues with the new 250R?
2) Are there any mods that can be done for height / comfortable riding position for taller folks?

Any pictures of you tall people on the bike with your feet off the ground, or even any recommendations to simply "get a bigger physical bike" are fine. I can take the heat. Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM

Hey im in the same situation atleast height wise. Im 6'2 and a half, 160lbs. But i had to get the 250 cuz im first time rder this year, i have the 2006 but im sure its pretty much the same size and yes it is a tght fit, i just sit and get cramped hips. Since u already have the experience insuramce wont kill u, id look at a sport touring bike, i plan on upgrading to the sv650s or similar bikes
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackenz View Post
Hey im in the same situation atleast height wise. Im 6'2 and a half, 160lbs. But i had to get the 250 cuz im first time rder this year, i have the 2006 but im sure its pretty much the same size and yes it is a tght fit, i just sit and get cramped hips. Since u already have the experience insuramce wont kill u, id look at a sport touring bike, i plan on upgrading to the sv650s or similar bikes
Yeah, I'm wondering about the tight fit/cramped hips. I suppose I ought to just go to my local dealer and sit on a 250R. Will they give test rides for new bikes? If so, that should answer all my questions.

If the 250R ends up being just too small for me, I've been thinking about a V-Strom 650 or a Honda Interceptor 750. I just don't need/want that much power anymore... plus I'd really like to buy new, but my budget can't afford any other new bike besides the 250R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 AM

Size

I'm 6' 1" but only 170 lbs, to be honest I don't feel anymore cramped on the 250 than I did when I seat on the 600r, maybe even less do to the ride postion not being as aggressive. I think it would be best to just go to dealer and try out a few bikes.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 AM

yeah i would go sit on it and see how it feels definatly but im 6'1'' and fit just fine doesnt feel uncomfortable at all and i have a friend about your build who owns a pre gen 250 and suits him just fine as well.

'09 Ninja 250R Special Edition
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Planning to drop by Coleman Power Sports in the D.C. area tomorrow afternoon. It's been so long since I've been to a motorcycle dealership, I can't remember - how do test rides work? Can I ride a new '11 250R with no miles? Or can I only ride a used bike... I've got my motorcycle license.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

So I sat on several bikes today. Reconfirmed my suspicions that I don't want a super-sport with that back-breaking riding position. I've ridden them and they're hella-fun... just not what I'm looking for in a commuter bike.

What found out:
  • My knees hit the upper side of the 250R tank. Other than that, I liked the 250R... just wish it had digital gauges - but hey, it's only $4k, right?
  • I really liked the Ninja 650R and the Yamaha FZ6R... fit/finish/feel... just not the MSRP. $7.2k and $7.6k respectively.
So what do I do? Buy a 250R and purchase additional rearset adjusters and Woodcraft clipons in an effort to bring it up to the riding position (for me) that the 650R/FZ6R have standard? Or do I try and find a "new" (previously unregistered) 2009 or 2010 650R/FZ6R and haggle?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 04:22 PM

I am 6'2 225lbs and i do get some pretty intense cramps while going on longer rhides but for just around town and stuff its pretty descent. I would complain more about the wind moving me around on a smaller bike. Mines a 98 and it gets the job done but im a first time rider riding for about two months now and when its windy i try no to ride at all....mayb just me tho:/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 AM

Too tall

I would say if you don't like the position of a sport bike stay away from them, in the long run you may not be happy with your decision. I don't know how you feel about dual sports, but my friend is about your size and he found a used dual sport for his daily commute to work, And he's happy with it!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 PM

I'm 6'.1 @ 220 lbs, and i just bought my 2010 250r about a month ago. I don't think i've ridden it more than 1 1/2 to 2 hours at a time and i can honestly say i dont get cramped on it. My hands and wrist get a little sore sometimes but thats it. My only real complaint is the bike is a little too light, i know that sounds crazy but when i'm doin 70+ on a slighty windy day I feel the wind slapping me around like a toy. i bought this bike as my commuter but im constantly waiting for the next sunny day to go for a ride, this bike is so nimble, so much fun!! and it has no problem getting my big butt up to 100mph and thats plenty for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement